News: “Over the graves of the Druids and under the wreck of Rome,
Rudely but surely they bedded the plinth of the days to come.
Behind the feet of the Legions and before the Norseman’s ire
Rudely but greatly begat they the framing of State and Shire
Rudely but deeply they laboured, and their labour stand till now.
If we trace on ancient headlands the twist of their eight-ox plough.”

-Rudyard Kipling
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Blundells Gillingham  (Read 12495 times)

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 71
Re: Blundells Gillingham
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 12:57:42 »
Thanks, Peterj! I think a few buildings nearby have very uneven floors including the existing Blundell`s. I`ll have a look at the rear of the shop this afternoon and have a word with Blackbourn`s - they may let me have a look or even take a photo, they can only say `no`, depends on what is now stored there I suppose.

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 339
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 21:27:16 »
I bought many toys in Blundell's in Gillingham when I was a kid, particularly Airfix kits and Britain's figures (especially the knights in armour!)  I was trying to remember exactly which shop it was, but I seem to remember it was very close to, or even next door to, Barnaby's record shop (which has its own thread I believe). I think one of those is now the photographic shop[ (PhotoMemories?)
=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

Barrowboy

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 16:52:45 »
Yes, Blundells owned both shops. The Gillingham store opened in 1970. We bought all our baby gear there in 1972 when our daughter was born. Pride of place was a two tone Silver Cross coach built pram (which my wife could hardly see over the hood). However special mention must be made of the wicker crib. It has been in our family now for thirtynine years. No less than 25 babies of friends and family have used it, the latest occupant being my granddaughter Alice who was born just nine days ago. How's that for recycling?

Regards, and a Happy New Year to all KHF members.

alangrossmith

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 11:45:46 »
I remember Blundells (who's correct title at the front was "Blundells Prams & Toys" in big red letters) so clearly.  It still gives me such a warm glow thinking about that toy shop. It was nothing like the sterile major toy shop chains we have now (no name mentioned!) with its air con.  Blundells was small, crammed full of toys from floor to ceiling and had that lovely non-air conditioned feel.  I remember clearly that the main door to the shop was set back from Gillingham High Street and as you walked to the door, to the right of you was the shop window display for the prams and baby wear products and on your left was the shop window display of all the toys.  It was such a great design as for a small premises it managed to have a huge window display.  As you went into the door, immediately on your right was a flight of stairs that lead up to the prams and baby section (I hated being taken up there when I was a kid) and then under the stairs on the right was the counter that always seemed to be run by two elderly ladies.  On the left as you walked in was a glass display cabinet that housed loads of "Britains" zoo animals (plastic figures) and matchbox cars. At the end of the counter were two small steps that then lead up to all the boxed toys.  You are correct with regards to the train set.  It was in a large glass case and you put 10p in to watch the train go around.  I so wish I could find some photos of the shop on the internet (only one I could find was an image of where it used to be) but for now am very happy with my very fond memories of going in there regularly to buy my zoo animals, which at 38 years old I still have and have passed on to my 6 year old daughter.

Merv

Blundells Gillingham
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 20:42:12 »
"Train in Window"
We were talking about that to a couple of Northern friends. they said they didn't recall seeing such Up North.
The shop at the Station end with the slot in the window was called Blundells
we had one in Rochester too, whos name escapes me at the moment.

merc

Blundells Gillingham
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 20:35:00 »
I remember a toy shop along the station end of the high street somewhere, and it had a train set you put coins in to make it go round :)

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines