News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Victory/Jolly Jake/Scruffy Duck, Skinner Street, Gillingham [i]  (Read 4970 times)

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
Re: The Victory/Jolly Jake/Scruffy Duck, Skinner Street, Gillingham [i]
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 09:52:21 »
The shop shown in Solomonite's photo is / was the saloon bar when I had this pub early 80s. Then there was a shop next door where the owner fell asleep smoking and the shop caught fire. Firemen broke open roof to put it out.

Offline Solomonite

• Appreciation 0
Re: The Victory/Jolly Jake/Scruffy Duck, Skinner Street, Gillingham [i]
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 09:00:39 »
The comment regarding the shop, where the extended bar is in Skinner Street is true. This photo comes off a site:

http://www.dover-kent.com/2014-project/Victory-Skinner-Street-Gillingham.html

The landlord's name 'Harry Wood' is shown over the door, this apparantly dates the photo to 1913-1938.

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 246
The building next door was under conversion from a shop to a house in 1985. I remember that specifically because I had an altercation with a trio of lads coming out of what was then The Victory outside it, in which I came off worse. One of the lads concerned must have an impressive scar over his right eye, because a signet ring I was wearing at the time opened his head up above the whole length of his eyebrow.
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
The side bar going up Skinner St was a small saloon bar always there, with a shop next door.

torpointblue

Is my memory bad ??? My bedroom window faced the Victory. I lived In Penryn Manor. I recall the pub having a short frontage and a shop next door . Has it expanded into the shop only recently or was it alwats like this ???

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
Leofwine  I had this pub and when I left in 83 it was still the Victory if this helps you.

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
Carrying on my digging I was reminded that in the late 1990s this pub became the 'Jolly Jake' (I've amended the thread title appropriately). I can't currently remember if it had any more names, or when it went from being the Victory to the Jolly Jake, or the Jolly Jake to the Scruffy Duck. Anyone have any ideas on this?

And I've now found that as a beer house the Victory must have opened before 1869 as in that year the licensing laws seem to have changed to prevent the granting of New Beer House Licences.
=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
The Victory/Jolly Jake/Scruffy Duck, Skinner Street, Gillingham [i]
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 18:31:56 »
The Victory in Skinner Street was a beer house listed in the 1872 Licensing records, but probably opened earlier than this.. In recent years the name changed to the Scruffy Duck.
=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines