News: In 1834 a 13 metre long Iguanadon fossil was found in Queen’s Road in Maidstone
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dockyard Wall Features  (Read 12054 times)

Offline CDP

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 87
    • SHEERNESS/SHEPPEY/PENNEY
Re: Dockyard Wall Features
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2014, 20:21:27 »
 Around 1945, when I and hundreds more workmen cycled to the Dockyard each day, the locals would try to cross the road at their peril, and as I have mentioned elsewhere the schools would finish at  5 minutes to 12 to allow the children to cross the roads.
I also remember that the now Bluetown Heritage Centre was a long, narrow building and the owner charged 6d ?? per week to store our bikes there (I think it was owned by Smith the newsagent from Bluetown) and as everyone was a little late ish  getting to work the cycles were never stored neatly each side of this long, narrow passage but were " chucked "  on the move and left where they fell, or where they rested, to be sorted out after work finished.
I think that we had one and a half hours at lunchtime to cycle home, wash and brush up, eat our food and cycle back to the Dockyard and of course just a few yards from the Dockyard Gate.
The solution to every problem is a.) time , or  b.) another problem.

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 146
    • Kent's Historical Sites
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2014, 15:55:00 »
These outlets in the wall enabled fire-hoses to be trailed from the Dockyard to deal with any fires amongst Bluetown's wooden buildings:

cliveh

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 238
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2011, 00:11:15 »

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 409
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 12:38:11 »
 :)  You have still clarified the use of them!

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 238
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2011, 21:53:42 »
Thank you for clarifying that HERB COLLECTOR!
I wish!
The date I gave for the introduction of gas to Sheerness is wrong. (I took it from A Chronology of the Isle of Sheppey, W.H.Studt.)
A well researched article in Bygone Kent Vol 8 no 11 gives the date as 1857. ('And There was Light'-Gas comes to Sheppey. Mrs J. Wood.)
She also has this to say about the Dockyard wall gas lights.
"In 1872 My Lords Commissioners of the Admiralty were negotiating for the supply of gas to H.M. Dockyard, Sheerness. One small oddity of those times is still visible.......it seems that the dockyard 'maties' were not allowed to carry matches into the yard and so a gas jet was set up outside to enable them on leaving work, to light their pipes."
So 1860? 1872? My quote on the date for the gas jets comes from 'A Little Guide to Bluetown' from around 1980, I have not seen the original Journal of a Dockyard Man.

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 23:48:44 »
I saw two of those electrical lighters at a bonded warehouse on the big industrial estate before Christmas last year. Because of the spirits kept in the building all lighters had to be handed in at the security hut on the way in. Did not matter to me as my wife bullied me into quitting a year before. I was in there to collect a trailer of wines and spirits for a supermarket. As I picked up a 45" box trailer it added meaning to a 'box' of wine!
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline mmitch

• Appreciation 9
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 10:31:01 »
Many years ago I worked for a few weeks at a factory in Scotland that made explosives. There were several footpaths out to a 'bus shelter' which had a cigarette lighter coil in a box. You pressed a button to light your fag!
H&S wouldn't allow it now.
Bad for your health!
mmitch.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 409
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 21:53:48 »
Thank you for clarifying that HERB COLLECTOR!

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 238
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 21:48:28 »
Were these gas jets very old  ?.
The gas jets were in use in 1860. Gas was introduced in Sheerness in 1833.
"The gass lights was put on out side the Dock yard gate for the men to light their pipes." Journal of a Dockyard man, 3rd January 1860.
The two gas jets are within 3-4 feet of each other which suggests to me that they were to be used by a large number of people at the same time?

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 409
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 15:59:09 »
Thanks JohnG, I guess that if they were put there for a different reason then they were still ultimately used for lighting their pipes etc  :)

Offline JohnG

• Appreciation 28
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 15:15:58 »
Hi Kyn,  I was watching the SE news last year when they did a bit on that gateway and mentioned the gas flame for the dock workers, they showed a film of the workers coming out and lighting up from the gas flame.  JohnG

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 409
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 22:12:39 »
I tried to find out a bit more about the gas jets but there is no information on the internet and no other dockyard walls seemed to have them.  Somewhere else says they were there in case of a blackout but I don't see how these would have been any use as you still would not be able to take any sort of fire into the dockyard!

Offline CDP

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 87
    • SHEERNESS/SHEPPEY/PENNEY
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 17:36:48 »
Were these gas jets very old  ?.When I worked in the Dockyard lots of the workers had little glass jars, brought from home ,with little wicks and paraffin from the Dockyard store.These were kept alight all day ,very handy for the pipe smokers.Was it the matches that were not allowed I wonder .

When I was on the P and O liners ( again years ago ) matches were classed as explosives and were not sold on the ships  but special ?? P and O  brand matches  were given out to the passengers .These were exactly the same as shop matches  brought anywhere except for the pretty match box covers
The solution to every problem is a.) time , or  b.) another problem.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 409
    • Sheppey History
Dockyard Wall Features
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 19:32:41 »
These have been mentioned in previous posts but a thread dedicated to the features of the wall would give people more of a chance to add information!

At the South Gate you can find a gas jet which is thought to have been placed here for the convenience of the dockyard workers.  Due to the highly flamable material used in the dockyard matches were forbidden from the dockyard, by siting this gas jet at the gate it meant smokers could come here to light their pipes.  The South Gate was added in 1861 to allow workers a more convenient gate to access the Steam Factory which opened in 1854.

Also along the wall opposite Bluetown Heritage Centre are these marks in the wall.  On 5th June 1917 German Gotha Bombers attacked Sheerness dockyard, one of the bombs fell in the vicinity badly damaging the Criterion Theatre and leaving these shrapnel marks in the wall.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines