News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Iwade Parish - The Lathe of Scray  (Read 2607 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

busyglen

  • Guest
Iwade Parish - The Lathe of Scray
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 20:40:02 »
IWADE PARISH – 1847

IWADE, is a Parish and small village 2 miles N. by W. from Milton, situated in a low and moist situation, the waters of the Swale forming its northern boundary.  In 1841 there were 25 houses and 165 inhabitants: population in 1801, 106, in 1831, 134.  The parish contains 8,127 acres of land, of which 282 acres are arable, and the rest pasture and marsh lands; 378 acres were inned in 1811.  These lands are even and flat, and of a soft boggy nature, and have great quantities of sheep constantly feeding on them.  Rateable value £3,911.  Lord Harris, James B. Wildman, Esq., and the Rev. George Moor are the principal landowners.  About a mile west of the village is a piece of land called 'Swainsdown', a name evidently of Danish origin, where are still seen some vestiges of an ancient military encampment or fortification.

THE CHURCH, is a small venerable fabric, dedicated to All Saints, and consists of two aisles, and a low steeple, in which are two bells.  The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Archdeacon of Canterbury, and incumbency of the Rev. Humphrey Thomas Walford.  The Rev. Wm. John Brewer is the officiating curate.  The tithes of this parish were commuted in 1840, for £535.  The living has been augmented with £400, Queen Anne’s bounty, and a sum of £200, from the bequest of Mrs. Ursula Taylor, and a like sum from other sources.

HELMES is a manor partly in this parish and partly in that of Milton, the house being commonly called the Moated House, from a large moat having been formerly made round it.  

KING’S FERRY is a hamlet 1 ½ mile N.E. from the village; this ferry is crossed by means of a cable 140 fathoms long, made fast from shore to shore, which enables the ferrymen to pull the boats over by hand;  two of the men live on this side of the water to assist in working the boats.  The DART vessel Coast Guard Station is situated here.

CHETNEY HILL is situated two miles N.N. b W., the public works formerly carried on here were all taken down about thirty years ago.

MOAT and CUTMAIL are two farms, about one mile W. of the village.

CHARITIES: John Bunce, by will 1681, gave a rent charge of 40s per annum, issuing out of certain lands in Milton and Iwade, to be distributed by the churchwardens among the poorest persons in the parish, on St. John’s Day.  There is also distributed on the same day, £4.12.6d, arising from 2A. 2R. 30P. of land, left by an unknown donor. It appears from the churchwarden’s accounts, that previously to the year 1790, the rent of this land was applied annually, in payment of expenses of the parish feast.  

DIRECTORY: Marked * are at King’s Ferry;
Edw. Anderson, Farmer, MOAT;
Wm. Crayden, grazier,
Mary Hinge, farmer;
*John Lockyer, vict. Lord Nelson;
Martha Lockyer, vict. Woolpack;
John Potts, Boatman;
*Edw. Underwood, Com. Boatman.


From Bagshaw's History, Directory & Gazetteer of the County of Kent

 

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines