News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Halstow Parish - 1847  (Read 2322 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

busyglen

  • Guest
Halstow Parish - 1847
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 16:09:08 »
HALSTOW (Lower), is a small village 4 miles W.N.W.  from Milton, which in 1841 had 56 houses and 297 inhabitants.  Population in 1801, 121: in 1831, 221.  the parish contains 1,559 acres of land, gross estimated value £3,139.  the chief landowners are the Earl of Thanet, Lord Harris, Giles Hilton, Esq.  Thomas Dodd, Esq. and Mr. William Lewis.

STANDGATE CREEK extends 3 ½ miles N. by E. from Halstow to the Medway, a little above Sheerness, here foreign vessels that cannot procure clean bills of health, are compelled to perform quarantine, and to remove their cargoes into two large vessels, called Lazoretto, constantly stationed here.  Halstow Creek above this becomes shallow, and in the reign of Queen Elizabeth, was called Halstow Quay, there were then in the parish 24 inhabited houses, and 14 boats, from one to seven tons burthen, with 14 men, employed in the fisheries.

THE CHURCH, which stands near the creek, is dedicated to St. Margaret, and consists of nave, side aisle, and chancel, with a tower and beacon spore, and has five bells.  The living is a vicarage, valued in the King’s books at £8.2s. Patrons, the dean and chapter of Canterbury; incumbent, Rev. F. Rouch. The Rev. John Woodruff, is the officiating curate. The ancient  vicarage house was destroyed about the year 1696, and the site was afterwards taken possession of by a dredgerman; a house has since been built on it, by a person who claimed it as his freehold.  Two maiden ladies some time previous to the above date, bequeathed a house for the use of the vicar for ever.  A small METHODIST CHAPEL was built in 1815.

The paramount manor of Milton claims over this parish, subordinate to which is the MANOR OF BERKESORE, situated in the north east part of the parish.  It was given to the monks of Christ Church, in Canterbury, to the finding of a light before the shrine of St. Anselm there, in which state it continued  till the dissolution of the priory, in the reign of Henry VIIIm and was by that King settled on the dean and chapter of Canterbury, part of whose possessions it nowe remains, Lady Wenman being the lessee.

CHARITIES: William Robinson, by will, 1632, gave a rent charge of 20s. and two bushels of wheat yearly, issuing out of lands now called the stray farm, to be distributed among the poor.  An annuity of 20s. per annum was left by Catherine Wootton, in 1678, to be distributed by the churchwardens to the most necessitous poor in the parish. A person unknown, gave a cottage and two tenements for the use of the poor; these premises have been occupied by poor persons rent-free, put in by the parish officers.

CHURCH LANDS: There are certain lands, with a house and cottage, altogether producing £8 per annum; this amount is carried to the churchwarden’s account, as applicable to the reperations of the church.

Chapman, Mr. Jeremiah
Chapman, Mr. Richard
Chapman, Mr. Wm.
Dodd, Thomas, Farmer
Horn, Thos. Beerhouse
Hudson, Hy. Farmer, Great Barksore
Lewis, Wm. Farmer, Little Barksore
Ludgater, Wm. Brick Mr.
Payne, Wm. Corn Miller
Pope, Geo. Blacksmith
Rainer, Thos. Shopkeeper & Barge owner.
South, Henry, Gent
Vidgeon, Thos. Vict. Three Tuns
Wade, James, Grocer.


Taken from Bagshaw’s History, Gazetteer & Directory of Kent 1847

 

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines