News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Temple School  (Read 4560 times)

KeithJG

Re: Temple School
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2016, 18:22:37 »
@grandarog....I have the actual book, being an old Templar, and scanned it only knowing too late that I uploaded it from 400dpi and then the dreaded white screen :)

I have put up again as yours was in a link.

KeithJG

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2016, 12:42:04 »
Picture of Bob Green`s book....he died last summer 2015.

[attachment deleted by admin]

KeithJG

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2016, 17:03:56 »
I have just purchased from NA3T two digitised images from the Move at Temple School in 1960....only 55p

Apparently you can use them on forums so long as you don`t alter them!!

On the right of the larger picture is Mr. Phillips who was our Form Master in 1959/60 at the old school Cedar Road, the group of lads on the left I am sure I am the 4th one to the right but a close up goes blurred :).......I remember we all went to watch them load just for the picture and the record of moving.

Also I scanned my school tie, still in the draw with my other ties which are no longer used....I didn`t iron it very equal did I but still I was only 15yrs :)

By the way. those of you that do use NA3T. the images I bought are now visible and not hidden, I didn`t know that is how it work`s?

YonderYomper

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 21:50:50 »
After reading elswhere in this site about the Kelly's Directories, I recalled seeing one in the attic some time ago, so spent the afternoon fishing it out.

It's from 1967, and fortuitously, in the opening list of prominent persons, came across the name Cyril Sherwin Knight O.B.E, J P, living on Brompton Farm Road at that time.

He was the Mayor of Rochester, an Alderman, and then Justice of the Peace for the city, and was also on the Rochester Bridge Trust at different points throughout THElast century and was prominent from 1939- 1944, so was imprortant during the war.

And it is him that the school is named after... his surname being Knight, not Sir Sherwin, as I thought.

It would seem logical that since he had the former Temple school named after him, that he was connected to the move to the Cliffe Road site, which happened in 1961... given his listed address on Brompton Farm Road.

You'd think that they'd teach the kids who went there about these basic facts wouldn't you?!!!!

YonderYomper

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 13:01:54 »
Ah, thanks Very Much for that Greyuncle!

I found old school reports in the attic, but they were "versions" of the badge, and the "T" was smaller, and the pole of the banner the lamb has is visible, which is wrong too.  (couldn't even get their own badge right!)

In fact, here it is (and Sherwin Knight badge):

Offline Greyuncle

• Appreciation 8
  • Do the right thing
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 10:51:41 »
Temple Badge of the old proper school.

YonderYomper

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 21:25:12 »
This seems an old thread, and the picture a little before my time.   I too was a casualty-former pupil of Temple school.

But I was at the Cliffe Road site, and not where this picture was taken;  This seems to be the stage of the current Sherwin Knight Junior School, which was the original site of Temple, and which I attended as a junior.

Now that Temple is history, I tried to find my old badge/tie/blazer, but I think I've lost it.  Can't find a picture on the internet (of any useful size) either, so will try and fish one out of a school report or something for scanning, and posting here. The reason for which is that I was thinking about the design, and I'm sure it is the combination of two shields from the Cobham or Darnley Coat of arms, and would love to know if this is the case.

Also, who on earth was the Knight Sherwin?  No reference to this person can be found anywhere, so where did the name come from?

Offline johnham

• Appreciation 1
Temple School
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 23:22:33 »

This is a picture of Temple School Choir circa 1957 with me 4th from right.
Bob Hills was the choir master and latterly Cyril Wade who was a
chorister at Canterbury Cathedral.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines