News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Aldington Parish - 1847  (Read 6853 times)

busyglen

Re: Aldington Parish - 1847
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 14:31:16 »
Hi,
This is a bit of a long shot but do you have any info on Lympne Mill, built 1829 in the Street?
I'm trying to find info a William Stokes who was a Miller. It could also be spelt Stoakes?
I notice that a Stephen and Joseph Stoakes are mentioned above.
Info I have on the Mill is the mill was a small smock and fantail, with 4 cloths sails, it was demolished in 1890

Any info would be of interest.

Regards,

Len

Hi Len,

I'm afraid that all of the information I have given, is as far as it goes.  That is all that was given for the parish, in 1847.  Sorry I couldn't help more.

Len

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 11:16:08 »
Hi,
This is a bit of a long shot but do you have any info on Lympne Mill, built 1829 in the Street?
I'm trying to find info a William Stokes who was a Miller. It could also be spelt Stoakes?
I notice that a Stephen and Joseph Stoakes are mentioned above.
Info I have on the Mill is the mill was a small smock and fantail, with 4 cloths sails, it was demolished in 1890

Any info would be of interest.

Regards,

Len

ellenkate

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 16:00:25 »

Thank YOU busyglen.

busyglen

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 11:05:38 »
Thanks ellenkate, it's nice to have additions to the same village.  :)

ellenkate

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 09:50:14 »
More on Aldington: - BELL RINGING:

1786  :  On Wednesday last was rung at Aldington (by the Aldington youths), a compleat Peal of 720 changes, Oxford Treble Bob in 25 minutes, being the first peal of the kind ever performed on those musical bells, Robert STEED (treble);  Thomas MARTIN (2);   Thomas CRITTENDEN (3);   John HOWLAND (4);  William MARSHALL (5);  Joseph STOAKES (tenor).  It is remarkable neither of the above persons ever lived away from the parish whereby they might have gained experience.
(Kentish Gazette)

Charles SLINGSBY celebrated his 99th Birthday, a bellringer for 80 years at Aldington  (Arthur Mee’s “Kent”)

Also from Kentish Gazette Dec 1820:
“On Saturday last was rung at Aldington church by Aldington Union Society, 2 true and complete peals of treble bob, 720 of Kentish treble bob in 25 minutes;  720 of Oxford treble bob in 24 ½ mins, by the following:
William FRY (treble);     Charles WELCH (2nd);     Richard BUTCHER (3rd);
John CROTHALL (4th);      John SEALY (5th);      Richard HILLS (tenor)

Ellenkate

busyglen

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 19:48:34 »
Bilsington now added.  :)

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 77
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 19:39:04 »
Thanks for adding this busyglen, some good info there for me.
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

busyglen

Aldington Parish - 1847
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 16:53:59 »
ALDINGTON, is a parish and considerable village, in a pleasant and healthy situation, 5 ½ miles W. by N. from Hythe.  The parish contains 3,575 acres of land, of which 65 are in hops and 330 in woodland, and in 1841, there were 142 houses and 733 inhabitants.  Population in 1801, 504; in 1831, 732: rateable value, 4,652.  William Deedes, Esq. is the principal landowner in this parish, besides whom, John W. Evelyn, Esq, Sir Edward Knatchbull Bart., Charles John Lawson, Esq. Richard Onslow, Esq, the Earl of Romney, Earl of Thanet, and Mrs. Susannah Mills are also owners.

THE CHURCH, (St. Martin) is a handsome and commodious structure, consisting of nave, side aisle, and two chancels, with a lofty steeple at the west end, in which are six bells.  In the high chancel are several oak stalls, elaborately carved, and upon several old grave stones are some ancient brasses.  The living is a rectory, with the chapel of Smeeth annexed, valued in the King’s books at £38.16s.8d. in the gift of the Archbishop of Canterbury, and enjoyed by the Rev. Wyndham Knatchbull, D.D.  The tithes were commuted in 1842 for £945.2s.4d. an extraordinary charge of 10s. per acre is paid upon all hop grounds, and there are 9 acres of glebe.  An eminence a little south-west from the church commands a most delightful and extensive prospect. It is said that thirty-six parish churches can be seen from this elevation.

A NATIONAL SCHOOL, has been erected in the village by W. Deedes, Esq.  The Court Lodge stands on the site of one of the ancient mansions of the Archbishop of Canterbury, who had a park here, and a chase for beasts of the forest.  Henry VIII for some time had possession of this mansion and park, and purchased land at different times to add to it. 

ADLINGTON FRITH, is a hamlet two miles W. from the church.

STONESIT GREEN, one mile N.W. CLAPHILL, one mile.
COBBS HALL, ¼ mile S. was formerly the residence of the imposture, called the Holy Maid of Kent.

CHARITIES: For Wm. Fordred’s gift see parish of Sellinge.  The proportion payable to the poor of this parish amounts to £7.8s.9 1/2d.   William Pantry, by will 1587, left a yearly sum of 10s. for the benefit of the poor.  Thomas Hogben, in 1712, left a rent charge of £20, issuing out of certain land, called Shrowsbery, which is distributed among twenty poor families.  A sum of £240, left to the poor of this parish by Thos. White, Bishop of Peterborough, appears to have been irrecoverably lost many years ago. 

POST-OFFICE- Letters arrive at 8.30am and are despatched at 5.30pm.  Robert Scott,  Postmaster.

Burch, Thos. Grocer and barker, Firth
Chapman, Richard, beer-house, Firth
Crothall, J. boot & shoemaker, Clap H.
Divers, Wm. Victualler, “Walnut Tree”
Dryant, Edwd.shopkeeper & beer-house
Everest, Wm. Bentham, surgeon
Hobbs, Bedo, corn miller
Hooker, Daniel, carrier
Lacy, John, surgeon and registrar
Maplesden, Edwd. Blacksmith, Firth
Matson, Wm. Butcher
Mills, Samuel John, carpenter and builder, and timber merchant