News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dead Man's Island, Burnt Wick Island  (Read 32592 times)

Offline Riding With The Angels

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 36
    • Ghost Connections
Re: Dead Man's Island, Burnt Wick Island
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2012, 02:15:59 »
What's the circular rusted object in the second to last image?

Offline Sylvaticus

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2012, 00:20:17 »
Thank you David Brown. Sounds like the shiploads of timber are related to the former timber
business at Crundles Wharf on the Queenborough seafront.

david brown

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2012, 18:02:49 »
The creek between Deadmans Island and the land to the south is called Shepherds Creek
The posts that have been mentioned were used to moor the large amount of baulks of timber which was off loaded from sailing ships moored on Queenborough Buoys
The logs were seasoned / stored there until needed

Offline Admiral D Ascoyne

• Appreciation 12
  • Ready, Aye, Ready!
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2012, 13:40:02 »
Burntwich Island photos:-

Next time I'll take better photos of the former engine room and machine gun posts
Nostalgia's not what it used to be

Offline Sylvaticus

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2012, 02:14:54 »
I agree with Seafordpete that the posts were to prevent, or slow down erosion. At least the ones I've
 seen on maps and GE are now out in the water but follow the shoreline. There used to be more land north
of Shepherds creek so the graves were not so exposed at the time they were dug. The sea finally broke
into the side channels of Shepherds creek, breaking up the Queenborough end of Deadmans Island into
small pieces and making it more waterlogged.

Those circular earth banks - I've spotted a number of them on the maps, all over these marshes. Their
function isn't mentioned, my guess has always been they're ancient, possibly oyster tanks or saltworks.
There used to be one in Queenborough in the field W of Dumergue Ave, N of Main Rd (now filled with
new houses). The OS map always showed this as a Saxon Camp.

Offline Admiral D Ascoyne

• Appreciation 12
  • Ready, Aye, Ready!
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2012, 21:10:14 »
Please can any one help. My interest is Dead Man's Island and Burnt Wick Island and the many bodies buried on these Islands from the old hulk ships that used to be moored in the Medway.  JohnG

Hello this youtube video might be of interest?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsXJFQOjSSU

(go to 2:33, that's when he talks abt Burntwick island)
Nostalgia's not what it used to be

Offline JohnG

• Appreciation 33
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2011, 19:19:39 »
Thank you Paul, I was hoping some one could add more information about these two islands.  JohnG

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2011, 19:03:42 »
Where "on the net"?

It's Ok ive found it... http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/997245

err... Timber Grave"STONE" posts..... Dead Mans.... Deadmans...  Burnt Wick... Burntwick......  They Really know thier stuff....?
Maybe it's big horse I'm a Londoner. :{

Offline JohnG

• Appreciation 33
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 17:35:44 »
What about Burnt Wick Island.  On the net is a site "Dead Man's Island and Channel Marker OS grid TQ8972" it shows wooden markers and also talks about Burnt Wick Island.
There must have been hundreds of bodies buried on these Islands.  There must be other sites as well.  JohnG

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 15:44:10 »
The cremations were on a man made raised section and then the remains were buried elsewhere on the Island.
There are two raised areas on the old maps.
One to the south of Shepherds Creek Which i dont think has been part of Deadmans and looks a likely spot as its raised and seems to have a hill heading up to it.
This could be the site of an old structure?
Or this one now under water,(between the D and E in Deadmans)

It could be that these were Flood refuges?

seafordpete

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 15:27:31 »
I thought cremation was allowed for diseased corpses and non Christians?
It's not easy digging a grave in London Clay as it would have soon filled up with water so they would have been shallow graves.
At the time they thought disease was spread by "Bad Air" i.e. stench and fire cleansed the air or the use of powdered Lime.  

I've heard of pyres being lit on middle ages battle fields but not heard of it for diseases, I understand the plague pits etc were quicklimed. Water must have been a problem on the islands as they are virtually awash at high tide. A relation who went to Deadmans years ago said there were lots of exposed bones

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 15:14:07 »
I thought cremation was allowed for diseased corpses and non Christians?
It's not easy digging a grave in London Clay as it would have soon filled up with water so they would have been shallow graves.
At the time they thought disease was spread by "Bad Air" i.e. stench and fire cleansed the air or the use of powdered Lime.  

seafordpete

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 14:47:10 »
I was told years ago, People that were buried on Deadmans Island were victims of contagious diseases from the hulks and off ships where disease had broken out and the ship was quarantined and maybe a few french POWs?
Also that a lot of bodies were cremated there rather than buried?

The posts are not Grave Markers, And i dont think for navigation just to stop boats landing?

It would make a good KHF trip :)

Thats what I understood although I doubt cremation as that wasn't legal until long after. I think the posts are just part of the sea defences. I can remember Sheerness and many others with stakes driven in and hurdling  put into the beaches like groynes but across the beach, usually only exposed when the beach got storm scoured

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 14:35:33 »
I was told years ago, People that were buried on Deadmans Island were victims of contagious diseases from the hulks and off ships where disease had broken out and the ship was quarantined and maybe a few french POWs?
Also that a lot of bodies were cremated there rather than buried?

The posts are not Grave Markers, And i dont think for navigation just to stop boats landing?

It would make a good KHF trip :)

Offline JohnG

• Appreciation 33
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 13:09:44 »
Hello Kyn.  I have been looking on the net and there are quite a few sites that come up and mention Dead Man's Island along with Burntwick Island as areas where the people off the hulks are buried.  I would think they are burial grounds rather than cemetries.  I have a Royal Marines burial ground next to my house.  JohnG

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines