News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dead Man's Island, Burnt Wick Island  (Read 32630 times)

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
Re: Dead Man's Island, Burnt Wick Island
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 01:41:03 »
With the gun battery and boom on Burntwick Island I never imagined, or heard, that there were other burials other than Sidney Bernard on this island.  As far as I am aware all the burials were on Deadman's Island.  Although I would be interested to be proved otherwise!!!

The French Prisoner skulls were moved to the area behind St George's Church, HMS Pembroke, a memorial can be found there which was moved from St Mary's Island.

Offline WildWeasel

• Appreciation 2
  • How do Road Gritters get to work ?
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 21:57:55 »
Yellow fever was also responsible for a lot of deaths of the prisoners placed on hulks in the Medway.....
There is a rumor ( I have not been able to confirm ) That when the Gasworks in lower Gillingham next to the Strand where built a large quantity of corpses where uncovered and secretly ( at Night ) transported to St Mary's Island for re-burial
I do recall some issues when St  Marys island was re-developed ...The French government apparently knew about this and wanted a memorial placed....Don't know if this ever happened....
There is an awfull lot of history in this small area.....
WW
If it's too hard I can't do it !

Offline JohnG

• Appreciation 33
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 21:55:30 »
Kyn, Thank you very much for your replies. I have recently seen a photograph of rows of wooden grave markers on Dead Man's Island and read that where the island is eroding away at on end there are coffins and bones visible now.  It seems very sad that so many people are buried there with no recognition.  The same goes for Burnt Wick Island.  I get the impresson there must be hundreds of people buried on these Islands.  There do not look easy places to visit.  JohnG

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 21:28:33 »
The convict burial ground in Medway was on the Upnor side of the river to the right of the Medway Tunnel.  There was two more found in Sheerness for the hulks there.  The bodies on Deadmans Island and Burntwick Island were sufferers of cholera and suchlike that died in the quarantine area of Stangate Creek.

Offline JohnG

• Appreciation 33
Dead Man's Island, Burnt Wick Island
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 21:10:58 »
Please can any one help. My interest is Dead Man's Island and Burnt Wick Island and the many bodies buried on these Islands from the old hulk ships that used to be moored in the Medway.  JohnG

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines