News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Tudor House  (Read 8849 times)

Offline mad4amanda

• Appreciation 8
Re: Tudor House
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2013, 21:23:54 »
Yes, I realised we were probably talking about 2 different venues, sorry if I added to confusion, but to further stir the pot, where then was the Hunting Lodge shown below that clearly says Larkfield which is the London Road side of town rather than Bearsted?

Offline ann

• Appreciation 50
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2013, 11:18:30 »
Yes I remember the undercover patio area at the Tudor House

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 55
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2013, 11:03:46 »
Greenways did have a very large dance floor which I'm sure was sprung.  I attended various functions there. 

The Tudor House was near Bearsted as mentioned.  A DJ organistion calls SEDA (South East Disco Association) held an annual Disco Equipment Show there.  I always had a large display stand with the range of disco equipment. I had the Kent agencies for, plus a range of my own range of sound equipment.  For those who were involved in the disco scene, it included equipment by, Socodi, Discosound, Citronic, Pulsar, Lee Lighting. FAL, H&H and many others.

The Tudor House was a nice venue and I seem to recall it had an undercover patio area which was a very pleasant place to sit with a beer, wine or coffee.

JW

Offline ann

• Appreciation 50
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 10:57:12 »
By the late 70s was theTudor house known as Greenways? As I`m sure that was where we went skating or was Greenways a different location?
Greenways was on the A20 on the corner of where there is a turning to Trottiscliffe (can't remember the name)  Believe it is now to do with the Golf Course there.  The Tudor House that I recall was along the same road as the Great Danes (Bearsted way I believe). Both of these venues (and the Great Danes) hosted Antique Fairs on Sundays during the 80's. 

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, 09:44:38 »
I think this is the site of the former Tudor House, now a Marriott Hotel.

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 06:57:36 »
Ever since this thread has been running, I`ve had a feeling that we are discussing two different places, but it could be that my memory is playing tricks. The Tudor House that I remember was on the A20 in the Bearsted area and I believe, in the late 50s, had the only ballroom with a sprung dance floor in South East, but again, I could be wrong.
Wasn`t Greenways further up the A20 toward London and nearer Medway? Hope I`m not confusing things and would would be very appreciative if someone is able to correct me.
My only visit to The Tudor House was in the late 50s when I was an apprentice at The East Kent Gazette (W. J. Parrett Ltd.), when the company held their centenary dinner and dance there.

Offline mad4amanda

• Appreciation 8
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 20:26:23 »
By the late 70s was theTudor house known as Greenways? As I`m sure that was where we went skating or was Greenways a different location?

Offline lutonlad

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 20:08:36 »
Had some great times at the Tudor House in the 1970s. Steve Maxted was the DJ and entertainer. He used to put on some brilliant shows with sword swallowing, etc.  They really were the best years of my life, Ii had some great mates and had so much fun.
If it cant be mended with a hammer, it must be an electrical fault, bash it anyway.

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 15:01:27 »
Yes, you`re right, YoungNan! The Tudor House had a sprung dance floor. I went there in the late 50s and remember it well. Cannot imagine it being used as a skating rink? The whole place burnt down in the 60s or 70s, I think.

YoungNan

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 14:21:16 »

Oh Rex, such fab memories from those Disco's.  Wasn't the Tudor Lodge the club where the dance floor "bounced" when you danced?

Offline mad4amanda

• Appreciation 8
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 20:53:57 »
I`m sure it was the Tudor House where we used to go roller skating/disco in the late 70s early 80s. It was funny because it had a great wooden dance floor, but around the edge was a carpet so if you hit that (especially if you were fast and hockey stopping) you stopped dead, then were flung forward as the momentum took you onward. It was fun if you were on the ball, but once I ended up over the bar after a miscalculation - by god that hurt !

Offline scintilla

• Appreciation 17
    • Kenticisms
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 10:28:59 »
Not pictures of the actual venues, but I found these. I visited most of the places you mentioned in the late 1970's.

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 14:03:03 »
Maybe it's big horse I'm a Londoner. :{

Rex

Tudor House
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 13:39:08 »
Hi, Im not sure where i will find it, as it doesnt say on the search button.. but would anyone have any old pics of the Tudor house, the hunting lodge, the moat, kempton manor, or anything from around the A20/M20 area, i used to frequent the discos down there, and Iknow they have all gone, but it would certainly bring back a few memories for the disco goers of the 70s, as reading through the other threads of the way things were in the 70s the fashion scene seems t o feature well.

cheers
rex

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines