News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Carters frozen foods,Rochester  (Read 8841 times)

Offline mad4amanda

• Appreciation 8
Re: Carters frozen foods,Rochester
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2016, 16:56:22 »
Its such a shame my dad died in the late 70s as I'm sure he and Lou Cartier were more than acquaintances. Remember a few visits and deals being done! We used to go to the Strood freezer store for our family shop. I remember my mum bought a big freezer so she could stock it up , bless her she is in her 80s on her own and still has 3 freezers!
With regard to the later leisure business. Was this not Kent Camping Warehouse that was in one of the old Gray`s showrooms near sun pier?

Offline shoot999

• Appreciation 5

Fred the Needle

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2012, 11:41:45 »
I think it was Cartier's rather than Carter's.

When it was Sidney Scholar's, it was a trade only "Cash and Carry" warehouse.  My Dad owned a shop and used to use Scholar's to buy the stock for it.  I remember the cashier there, a lady of *ahem* advanced years who plucked her eyebrows totally and then re-pencilled them in.  Gave her a look of complete surprise all the time - I don't know why she thought it looked attractive.  When Scholar sold it, I had just learned to drive so that'd make it 1971 (possibly 1972)

As I recall, Lew Cartier bought it and opened it as a "Freezer Store" for the general public.  I remember that you could buy a pack that contained a chicken, and joints of beef, pork and lamb.  That took care of the month's Sunday roasts!  It seemed to be a very successful business.  Parking around there during Scholar's time was difficult, under Cartier it became nigh on impossible - I'm glad I didn't live round there.

I'm not sure if he sold it to Bejam or Tesco.  I certainly remember it being a Tesco but the name Bejam rings a bell too.  However what I DO remember is that Cartier decided to open a "leisure" store in Chatham (I think it was the old Gee's toyshop premises) as he believed that he could make a fortune from leisure goods as people in the 1970's were going to have more free time to devote to hobbies/pastimes/outdoor pursuits (he said in the local papers).

Unfortunately he didn't reckon on Mrs Thatcher giving people more "free" time but with no money to spend!  The store didn't last long.

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2012, 08:43:25 »
Smiler, that is where I used to get my frozen bits in the 70's, the entrance was on Queen street.
***I am still the child within***

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2012, 08:22:41 »
I can't for the life of me remember where in Rochester the shop was. Can anyone prod my memory please.

Not to worry now. I have just been shown by hubby. Sorry.
Corner of Queen St and Church St for anyone else wondering. Before Cartiers it was Sydney Schollars.

LouiseC

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2012, 21:22:53 »
I can't for the life of me remember where in Rochester the shop was. Can anyone prod my memory please.

Not to worry now. I have just been shown by hubby. Sorry.

Offline ashwood

• Appreciation 6
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2012, 17:56:32 »
Lou Cartier also had a small store on an industrial estate in Ashford, then moved to a much larger one that is now a Matalan. Tesco and others tried all kinds of legal moves to put him out of business then bought him out and traded for Tesco for a time.  Must have done well. Bought a large house "Boys Hall" in Ashford and lived there for a time. 

Offline Far away

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2012, 13:30:28 »
The spelling of the company that Tesco bought out was Cartier, not Carter.  I never heard how the Florida development went.

Offline seb

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 09:50:48 »
Doug you are correct in what you say about Carters.   Tesco is not the only shop to have this clause.   Big or small we all put it in our contracts.   Usually it says must not open within 1 mile for 5 years.

Offline doug

• Appreciation 14
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 20:09:15 »
Lou Cartier started as a Butcher in Birchington. His first store [similar to today's Iceland] was on the Haine Industrial Estate at Ramsgate, followed by stores at Cliftonville, Herne-bay, Faversham, Sittingbourne, Canterbury, Folkstone, Strood, Rochester, Bexley.
Rochester was turned into offices and warehouse for the company, Strood was the first Cartier Store built from scratch, Cliftonville was second. Cartier was brought out by Tescos, never heard of Cartier going skint; after selling up he tried a theme park in the States,
also opened a chain of sports shops. [if you get brought out by Tescos, they put a clause in the sale to say you can't reopen in that trade]

seafordpete

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 19:17:03 »
Could this possibly be Lew or Lou Cart(i)er who, many years ago opened a business in Sittingbourne? I remember that there was a strike of some sort which caused a shortage of bread. I think he immediately started his own bakery. One of his shops was at the west end of Gadby Road, now occupied by the Co-op. I remember that he had a very large range of frozen food which was a bit unusual at that time.
Think you're right, we used to go to one in Strood then West Malling which later became Tesco. Think he sold out to Bejam which in turn went to Iceland

stuiF1

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 19:15:46 »
Thats it Bryn Clinch "lou Carter"...can remember my dad telling me all sorts of stories about him and if my memory serve's me right ,I think he opened a second store in Strood which wasn't open for long before he went bust I think, not sure but think its where Tesco's are now.

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 18:26:53 »
The 70s was when I shopped there, the building was pulled down and a few new houses where built.
***I am still the child within***

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 17:47:29 »
It was Sydney Schollar's during or just after WW2, and the building was "Burma Buildings". My wife used to get supplies there for the annual camp for her Guide Company, about early 1970s, but I'm not sure who owned it then.
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 17:24:25 »
Could this possibly be Lew or Lou Cart(i)er who, many years ago opened a business in Sittingbourne? I remember that there was a strike of some sort which caused a shortage of bread. I think he immediately started his own bakery. One of his shops was at the west end of Gadby Road, now occupied by the Co-op. I remember that he had a very large range of frozen food which was a bit unusual at that time.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines