News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hinxhill Parish - 1847  (Read 2331 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

busyglen

  • Guest
Hinxhill Parish - 1847
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 18:58:20 »
HINXHILL, is a small parish and village, 2 ½ miles E. by N. from Ashford.  The manor of Bilsington claims over part of this parish, which contains 666 acres of land, a light fertile soil.  In 1841, there were 30 houses and 171 inhabitants: rateable value, £969.  Rev. J Billington is lord of the manor and principal landowner.  Sir Edward Knatchbull, Bart., and the Earl of Winchelsea, are also proprietors. 

THE CHURCH, (St. Mary), is a small fabric, with two aisles, two chancels, and lofty steeple at the west end.  The living is a rectory, valued in the King’s books at £7.16s.8d., now £187.  Patron, Sir John Honywood; incumbent, Rev. John Philpott.  In the high chancel, on the north side, there is a handsome monument, for Robert Edolph and his wife, with their effigies kneeling on it; in the south aisle are various other memorials.

In the year 1727, a subterraneous fire took place in the valley near Goodcheape, in this parish; the fire began in a marshy field, on the side of a little brook, and continued to burn without spreading very much for some days, afterwards, it extended itself for the space of several acres over the field, consuming all the earth were it burnt into red ashes, quite down to the springs, which in most places lay four feet and more deep.  In the space of six weeks it had consumed about three acres of land, at which time it sent forth a great smoke and a strong smell, very like that of a brick-kiln, but it never flamed except when the earth was turned and stirred up.  The earth was found to be much hotter about two feet deep than nearer the surface, and when this earth was exposed to the air, though it was very moist, and not hotter than might be easily borne by the hand yet the heat of it increased so fast, that in a few minutes it was all on fire.  The soil of the field is of the same nature as that used for making turf in Holland; the surface of it is always wet, except in extreme dry seasons, by this season it was somewhat more parched and dryer than usual.  In the summer of 1836 a similar fire again ignited in the same place, which was extinguished by means of pouring water thereon.

CHARITY In the year 1722, Martha Wade, by will, gave an annuity of 40s. per annum out of lands in this parish of Wye, to the use of the poor not receiving alms.

DIRECTORY: James Chittenden, Bailiff; Edward Hammon, farmer, Goodcheap; Rev. John Philpott, rector; Edward Rolfe, farmer; Ann Whitewood, farmer.

From Bagshaw’s History, Gazetteer & Directory of Kent 1847.

 

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines