News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: The Cat and Cracker, Grain [i]  (Read 3340 times)

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 70
Re: The Cat and Cracker, Grain [i]
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 23:56:33 »
The Cock Inn (later to become the Cat & Cracker) is on the left. The original Cock Inn, after spending some time as the Post Office is now the Hogarth Inn, so called because William Hogarth is said to have visited there in 1732. Picture probably taken around 1910.

Offline Spekes Bottom

• Appreciation 11
Re: The Cat and Cracker, Grain [i]
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 12:40:11 »
Does anyone know when it was closed and demolished?

Offline kenty

• Appreciation 5
    • Images21
The Cat and Cracker, Grain [i]
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 10:36:12 »
Does anyone know what happened to the Cat and Cracker pub on in Grain?  We used to go out there on our motorbikes to see bands play in the early 80s, and I see the name has disappeared from view. (Anyone else remember "Chevogue", "Killer Rabbits", other local bands? Sorry, thread drift.)

As I recall, it was named after the catalytic cracker, part of the refinery complex, so maybe it disappeared when the latter was decommissioned?

The Cat and Cracker is a row of houses now...
Follow The 'fleet - The Team of Dreams

Offline ETA

• Appreciation 1
The Cat and Cracker, Grain [i]
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 18:17:49 »
Does anyone know what happened to the Cat and Cracker pub on in Grain?  We used to go out there on our motorbikes to see bands play in the early 80s, and I see the name has disappeared from view. (Anyone else remember "Chevogue", "Killer Rabbits", other local bands? Sorry, thread drift.)

As I recall, it was named after the catalytic cracker, part of the refinery complex, so maybe it disappeared when the latter was decommissioned?

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines