News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Halfway House, Chatham [i]  (Read 5914 times)

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 70
Re: Halfway House, Chatham [i]
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 22:53:09 »
I'm not sure if this photo has ever been posted before, but here it is anyway.

Richrat2000

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 20:29:07 »
Can always remember that pub there, When I was young I would get the No8 Bus back to White Road sitting upstairs, at the front, on the left.
And as the bus wizzed past the pub, it would drop into a left hand camber (dip) in the road and you always thought you would end up in the roof of the place. ha, ha.
Little things please little minds!

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 29
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 20:15:22 »
Numanfan, yes thanks for the Luton arch / Halfway House photos. Any idea where it was Halfway to?

I lived in Magpie Hall Road 1950 - 1970 and can remember those houses from the Halfway to the end of Henry St. were prone to flooding when it rained hard and the houses on the corner of Henry Street, opposite Dallas's Fish shop, had boards which fitted into slots at the front door to prevent surface water rushing down the hill and lapping over the door step into the front room.

Have you a photo of the Compasses? just up the hill at the junction of Russell St. and the Magpie in its early days, before the saloon was built onto the front? Sid, now there was a landlord!!

Offline Chas

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 19:19:47 »
Congratulations to Numanfan for the photos of the Halfway House. I remember drinking in there in about 1970 when I was 15. That whole area was part of my youth and very clearly remembered.

Offline numanfan

• Appreciation 126
    • www.move2medway.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 22:28:13 »

Numanfan, any memories of The" Beacon arms" Beacon Road?
                                                                    ajemp.............

I'm afraid not, I don't recall ever seeing a photo of it. Another of the 'backstreet' pubs that has disappeared without a trace :(

Glad you liked the Halfway House photo, & that it bought back some good memories :)
www.move2medway.co.uk - take the journey

Offline Ajemp

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 21:17:47 »

Numanfan, any memories of The" Beacon arms" Beacon Road?
                                                                    ajemp.............

Offline Ajemp

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 21:13:22 »

Numanfan, Just found your photo of Halfway house , what a find,  my Grandparents used the pub daily  in fact the fence to left of picture shows the  gate to thier garden, back of Luton road ...no drink and drive  involved here! I   remember as a child if we were visiting  and my grand parents had arrived back from pub , you could smell the beer and cigarette smoke on thier clothes it was terrible. they lived at 14 Luton Road, now a tv repair shop..
                                                      ajemp...........

Offline karlostg

• Appreciation 23
    • Bluewasp Media
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 13:49:40 »
In reference to Numanfans earlier picture of the Halfway House, Chatham (page 4) here is the same pub viewed in the distance from Luton Arches.

Offline numanfan

• Appreciation 126
    • www.move2medway.co.uk
Halfway House, Chatham [i]
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 22:06:59 »
The Halfway House was the other pub in the Henry Street area

www.move2medway.co.uk - take the journey

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines