News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: M2 Medway By-Pass 1963  (Read 22595 times)

Offline Spekes Bottom

• Appreciation 11
Re: M2 Medway By-Pass 1963
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2011, 22:11:04 »
Farthing Corner

farthingcornerservices

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2011, 20:45:13 »
Hi Spekes Bottom,

Thanks for posting this picture.  It always makes me smile at how quiet the roads are.  Not many 2 lane motorways left now since this was widened.

Offline Spekes Bottom

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2011, 19:25:51 »

An aerial view of Junction 3 in the 1970s.

farthingcornerservices

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2011, 12:29:39 »
When I lived in Borstal in 1955 there where a number of white lines across Wouldham Rd which everyone said was to be a new road and bridge. Think they had been there a while then so it only took about 10 years to happen  :)

Would love to have seen the plans for the alternative bridge designs

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2011, 22:27:37 »
When my dad worked for the Borough of Dover he got hold of a large round medallion.This commemorated the opening of the M2 road bridge and was cast in some sort of light metal.One side had a likeness of the bridge stamped into it.

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2011, 10:18:07 »
I remember that accident and the story then was definitely that the Police had tried to stop the drunk by ramming him but at the speed they were travelling at it turned into a head on instead. They had the 2 vehicles on display at Farthing Corner for a long time with a sign up saying that a drunk driver had caused this.
I was also a major witness to the first death (below Fort Bridgewood) on the M2 and had to go to Maidstone Crown Court for the trial of the driver who caused it and survived. He got 18 months inside.
Luckily after the witnesses against him in the mroning had said their piece he changed his plea to guilty meaning my mate and I didn't have to testify. I say luckily because we'd spent an hour in the Wig and Gown pub and stunk of booze. The sergeant at the court gave us a hell of a dressing down and said we could have been charged with contempt of court for our behaviour!!!!
We left quietly. :) 
AlanH.

merc

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2011, 15:12:04 »

The Minister of Transport, Ernest Marples (second from the left) visiting the site of the M2 Medway Bridge in 1962.

The bridge in 1965.

john1971

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2011, 17:02:46 »
. I remember at the time wondering if the Police deliberately drove into the car to protect 'civilian' road users?

Highly unlikely. The most likely reason they collided was that the officers were searching for the car on the other carriageway with the intention to get to the junction before the car and stopping the traffic there. Sadly the information they were working from was incorrect. The road was unlit and where they collided it was under a junction where there was even less light. Also the police car would only have had a single blue light which wouldn't have anything like the intensity of the lights these days. The police car didn't have high visibility markings on it and the average head light on a car wasn't as bright as they are today.  It's likely that the occupants of the other car didn't see the police car as it was dark, and all the occupants had been celebrating winning a game of cricket, and were apparently drunk. The police officers would have been trying to drive their car at speed to catch up with the vehicle they thought was on the other carriageway and they may have had their attention diverted to the other carriageway looking for the vehicle that was tragically actually on their carriageway.

Offline Uncle

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2011, 16:16:01 »
Thank You very much for your reply John1971, I was just a lad then but remember it from the Chatham,Rochester & Gillingham News. I remember at the time wondering if the Police deliberately drove into the car to protect 'civilian' road users?

john1971

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2011, 08:53:21 »
At some point in the mid 60s I recall a Police Humber estate having a 'head-on' on the M2 with a driver heading the along the wrong carriageway. If my memory serves me correct, both officers lost their lives, but I can find no record of this. Anyone??

My Dad remembers this happening. He thinks it was 1966. The officers were from Canterbury Traffic Garage and responded to a call to a vehicle travelling London bound on the Coastbound carriageway as they were already on the London bound carriageway. The police received three calls giving the location as London bound on the eastbound carriageway. Then there was a further call stating that the they were in fact coast bound on the London bound carriageway, the same stretch of road the traffic car was on. The emergency operators at HQ tried calling back the last caller on the SOS box to confirm the location he had given as it differed to what had been supplied before, confirmed it with the caller, and then tried to call back the traffic car on the radio but could get no reply. The police car (which was a Humber Super Snipe) had collided with the car being driven on the wrong carriageway (which was a Triumph Herald) under what is now junction 4. Apparently there are still marks on the western bridge at junction 4 where debris hit it about 3/4 of the way up the bridge support...

Offline swiftone

• Appreciation 21
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2011, 06:22:44 »
At some point in the mid 60s I recall a Police Humber estate having a 'head-on' on the M2 with a driver heading the along the wrong carriageway. If my memory serves me correct, both officers lost their lives, but I can find no record of this. Anyone??

I remember the incident because we used to listen to the police communications on VHF (nothing much on TV).  We were listening to the policeman's commentery as they were pursuing somebody. We could hear both sides of the conversation because they were on talk through. The policeman's running commentary suddenly became silent without warning. The female at HQ was trying to contact them with increasing desperation in her voice. It must have been a traumatic experience for her and it illustrates how tenuous life is. I can only pinpoint the incident to some time in the sixties after October 1965.

Offline Uncle

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2011, 22:54:10 »

Offline Megapack162

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 11:11:18 »
Fantastic pictures swiftone and Galgo123, those original junctions had so much more character than the new versions, albeit that the new ones are much safer.

I seem to remember coming up the hill towards J3 and hurtling around the slip road, leaning into the turn. I'm sure I was only doing about 30-40mph but it seemed soooo much faster.....

A school friend of mine lived in a large white house on the west side of the road just up from the Maidstone Road bridge, his family had to move twice in the space of a few years as the Bluebell Hill road layout was "improved".

Galgo23

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2011, 10:38:37 »

Offline mmitch

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2011, 09:44:09 »
The section past the Medway towns was always busy. I can remember before it was built taking an hour by bus from Strood hill to Chatham.
I am sure I remember a multiple pile up in the 1980s on the climb to Bluebell hill. It was in thick fog (always a problem there) and several people were killed. It was rated by the EU as the 'most dangerous stretch of motorway in Europe' at that time.
mmitch.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines