News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Brabourne Parish - 1847  (Read 3366 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

busyglen

  • Guest
Brabourne Parish - 1847
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 13:01:05 »
Brabourne is an extensive parish, situated at the upper range of chalk hills which stretch from hence to the sea shore at Folkstone, and here take the name of Brabourne Downs; it contains 2,996 acres of productive land, near the downs it is mostly chalk, about the middle of the parish it is chiefly a heavy soil, and in the southern part a red sand.  The parish is well watered by several rivulets, one of which rises near Brabourne-street, and runs southward into that branch of the Stour below Scott’s Hall.  The village is pleasantly seated at the foot of the downy hills, 7 miles E. from Ashford, and in 1841 here were 179 houses, and 880 inhabitants; population in 1801, 423; in 1831, 664, rateable value £3,686; Sir Edward Knatchbull is lord of the manor and principal landowner; Viscount Strangford and Mr. L. Lambourn, are also proprietors.

THE CHURCH, is an ancient structure, dedicated to St. Mary, with a nave, two chancels, and side aisles, and a low square tower at the west end, in which are five bells.  The living is a vicarage, valued in the King’s books at £11.12s.6., in the patronage of the Archbishop of Canterbury, and enjoyed by the Rev. James Brothers.  The rectorial tithes were commuted in 1842 for £613, and vicarial for £270.  There are also about fifty acres of hops, which pay an extraordinary tithe of 8s. per acre.  Both chancels of this church are full of internments of the Scott family, but the brasses and inscriptions are almost obliterated.  At the east end, within the rails, is a large altar tomb against the wall of Bethersden marble – on it the marks of a figure, the brass gone; on the front, five shields, with the arms of Scott and their several impalements.  Over the tomb is a kind of altar-piece, ornamented with stone carved work.  In the south cancel, belonging likewise to the Scott family, the brasses on the gravestones, with which the pavement is covered, are all gone.  In the south aisle is a stone with the figure of a man in brass, habited in armour.  The Baptists have a small chapel in the village.  A fair is held for pedlery on the last day of May.

THE MANOR OF BRABOURNE was granted to the monastery of St. Augustine about the year 864; about the time of the Doomsday survey, it was held by Hugh de Montfort, and some time after it was possessed by the Scott family, one of whom alienated it to Sir Edward Knatchbull, Bart. Heminge,  Combe, and Hampton, are also manors in this parish; the latter of which was formerly held by a family who took their name from it.

CHARITIES: Valentine Knott, by will 1614, left a yearly sum of 8s. which is distributed to the poor by the churchwardens.  (See Bonnington)  the proportion of rent payable to this parish from the bequest of William Fordred, amounts £7.8s.91/2d, which is given amongst the poor by the parish officers.
POST-OFFICE, at Mr Thos. Swaffers’s – Letters arrive from Ashford at 9.0am, and are despatched at 5.pm.

Brothers, Rev. Jas. B.A. Vicar
Chittenden, Henry, Schoolmaster
Cox, Rbt. Tailor
Daniels, Edw. Blacksmith
Epps, Henry, Baker
Epps, Wm. Butcher
Foord, Wm. Shoemaker
Foreman, John, Shopkeeper
Fox, Wm. Victualler, Five Bells
Francis, Geo. Grocer, Draper, & General Dealer
George, Henry, Blacksmith
Haycock, Alfred, Shopkeeper
Hayton, Rev. Amos, Vicarage
Hills, Wm. Wheelwright
Hooker, Josh. Baker
Kingsmill, Geo. Grocer
Leeds, Wm. Shoemaker
Lyne, Fredk. National School
Moore, Chas, T.D. Tailor
Morley, Godfrey, Victualler, Plough
Nickols, Wm. Bricklayer
Palmer, Jas. Butcher
Phillpott, Wm. Shoemaker
Swaffer, Thos. Grocer
Venner, Wm. Shoemaker
Watts, John, Carpenter
Weekes, Mr. John
West Rd. Corn Miller
White, Jas. Carpenter

FARMERS

Andrew Onslow (and Land Agent)
Conley, Edw. Grazier
Crow, Geo. Grazier
Gotts, Philip, Coombe Farm
Harvey, John, Grazier
Hills, Thos. Parsonage
Inge, Jno. C. Fidling Farm
Jeffrey, Mich, Hampton
Lambourn, Levi, Water Farm
Marchant, Thos.
Morley, Rd.
Noble, Sarah, Hemminge
Parsons, Rd. Grazier
Pilcher, James
Purshouse, Mary
Rolfe, Geo. Bull Town
Sutton, Mark, Court Lodge
Thornby, Thos
Vincer, Jas
Weekes, James, Lime House

Taken from Bagshaw’s History, Gazetteer & Directory of Kent 1847.

 

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines