News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Frittenden Parish - 1847  (Read 3623 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

busyglen

  • Guest
Re: Frittenden Parish - 1847
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 09:39:38 »
I have just spotted 2 relations in your list of farmers, thank you.
You're welcome. :)

Offline Janetlinda56

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 246
  • Appreciation 2
Re: Frittenden Parish - 1847
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 07:54:42 »
I have just spotted 2 relations in your list of farmers, thank you.

busyglen

  • Guest
Frittenden Parish - 1847
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 19:49:58 »
FRITTENDEN, is a parish and neat village 4 ½ miles N.N. by E. from Cranbrook, partly situated in the hundred of Barkley; the village has within the last few years been completely modernised by the Rev. E. Moore, who has in various ways ministered, and munificently contributed to the general welfare of the inhabitants.  The parish contains 3,318 acres of land of which about 230 are in hop cultivation, and 300 in woods.  In 1841 there were 155 houses, and 804 inhabitants: population in 1801, 551, in 1831, 816; rateable value £3, 106.  The Liberty of the bailiwick of the Seven Hundreds, claims paramount over it, of which Thomas Law Hodges, Esq. is lord, Earl Cornwallis, Rev. Edward Moore, and A.L. Wollaston, Esq. are the principal landowners: there is also an estate in this parish which belongs to Trinity Hospital, Aylesford, and another to a chapel at Sandhurst.

THE CHURCH, dedicated to St. Mary, is a neat structure in the decorated style, with nave, chancel, south aisle and lofty spire with 8 bells; the structure is now in course of rebuilding by the Rev. Edward Moore, and when completed will cost about £6,000, the seats throughout the church will all be free.  The same individual a few years ago rebuilt the rectory house at his own cost; it is a handsome mansion a little north of the church.  The living is a rectory valued in the King’s books at £15.18s.9d. now £365, in the patronage of T.L. Hodges Esq. and incumbency of the Rev. Edward Moore.  The Rev. E. Moore, in 1845, built two commodious school rooms for boys and girls, which are conducted on the national system.  A fair for pedlery is held April 5th.  A fine stream of water crosses the parish from Cranbrook and the South Eastern Railway, passes about 4 miles north of the village.  The tithes were commuted in 1840 for £412.  The manor of Comden is situated in the south west part of the parish, it was part of the ancient possessions of the prior of Ledes, where it remained till its dissolution in the reign of Henry VIII, it was afterwards sold to Sir John Baker, in whose descendants it continued till it was sold to Sir Horace Mann, the whole of the estates descended to Earl Cornwallis.  Wallinghurst and Buckhurst were two small manors, which with Bewper and Great and Little Fexhurst, also came by purchase into possession of the trustees of Sir Horace Mann.  The Pound farm is a manor which anciently belonged to the great family of Badlesmere.  John Weston, clothier of Cranbrook, died possessed of it in 1694, Thomas Law Hodges, Esq. is lord of this manor.  The honour of Chilham, extends quite through this parish, and the manor of Lovehurst in Staplehurst parish extens into the parish as far as the church.

HASELDEN, is a neat mansion the seat and property of Alexander L. Wolleston, Esq.  The names of the scattered farms are given in the Directory. 

CHARITIES: Thomas Idenden, in 1566 bequeathed certain lands for the use of the poor, the profits of which he directed to be bestowed in the relief of poor householders, and to the use of poor maidens marriage portion or to such deeds of charity as should be thought most needfully by the trustees.  The property consists of a house and about 28 acres of land let to the overseers of the parish at an annual rental of £46.10s.0d.  A cottage and garden were bought by the trustees many years ago, and are now let at £4.10s.0d. per annum.  After deducting insurance and the expense of repairs etc. the rest is distributed among the poor of the parish in sums varying from 2s.6d to £3.  Small sums are usually given to each poor maiden in the parish on her marriage.

*Those marked 1, reside at Bealhouse; 2, Bubhurst; 3, Buchhurst; 4, Catherine Wheel; 5, Cherry Tree; 6, Goulds; 7, Headcorn Road; 8, Home Stall; 9, Hungerdown; 10, Old Mill; 11, Peaser Edge; 12, Pettits; 13, Poplar; 14, Sanders Bridge; 15, Cinquehurst Green; 16, Knoxbridge.*

Bowles, John, Blacksmith
Burr, Rev. G.F. Curate
Cotton, Rev. S. (Independent)
Evernden, Rd. Beerhouse, Spout House
Hudson, Wm. & Elizabeth, National School
Moore, Rev. Edward, M.A. Rectory
Murphy, Mr. Edward
Price, Geo. Victualler, Bell
Roffe, Geo. Wheelwright
Wollaston, Alex L. Esq. Cambden Place

BOOT & SHOE MAKERS
Beaken, William
Watches, William

BUTCHERS
East, William
Osborne, John

CARPENTERS
Bates, Henry
Gurr, Ishmael

CORN MILLERS
Orpin, Jno & William
Sanders, Thomas

FARMERS
Boorman, James
  3 Boorman, Thomas
13 Burden, Mary
14 Busbridge, Mr
10 Cooke, John
Croucher, Wm. Oak Tree
Day, George
Daynes, Edward
 9 East, Sarah
12 Everden, Wm.
 4 Gilbert, Robert
 3 Honers, Richard
Hickmont, John
 2 Hickmott, Thomas
 7 Judge, Joseph
 6 Mercer, Robert
 2 Monck, Edward
15 Orpin, Robert
Osborne, John
 1 Osborne, Thomas
Pierson, William
 8 Pullenger, William
11 Roffe, George
Sampson, John
16 Simmons, John
Smith, William
Taylor, Jno Park
 5 Thorpe, Edward
10 Wise, Joseph

SHOPKEEPERS
Hickmott, Eliz. & Caroline & Dress makers
Price George
Screes, David & Draper

From Bagshaw’s History, Gazetteer & Directory of Kent.

 

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines