News: “Over the graves of the Druids and under the wreck of Rome,
Rudely but surely they bedded the plinth of the days to come.
Behind the feet of the Legions and before the Norseman’s ire
Rudely but greatly begat they the framing of State and Shire
Rudely but deeply they laboured, and their labour stand till now.
If we trace on ancient headlands the twist of their eight-ox plough.”

-Rudyard Kipling
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Headcorn Parish - 1847  (Read 4017 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

busyglen

  • Guest
Headcorn Parish - 1847
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 18:53:42 »
HEADCORN,  is an extensive parish and considerable village, situated at the south point of the Eyehorne hundred, 9 ½ miles S.E. b S. from Maidstone, on the Maidstone and Tenterden road, and on the east side of the Eastern Counties Railway, which runs through the parish; occupies 50 acres of land, and has a station at the south end of the village.  The parish is partly within the hundreds of Eyehorne, Calchill, Barkley, Cranbrook, and Teynham, and partly in the eastern and partly in the western divisions of the county. The entire parish contains 4,930 acres of land, a stiff miry clay, except in very driy seasons, when it becomes very hard; about 180 acres are in hop plantations, and 300 are in woods.  Many small streams water the parish, which flow to a branch of the Medway that rises near Goldwell, in Great Chart.  The manor of Tenham claims over a considerable part of this parish, and the manor of Ospring over another part.  In 1841, the parish contained 250 houses, and 1,292 inhabitants, in many scattered hamlets; population in 1801, 740; in 1831, 1,193.  Value 6,600.  The principal proprietors are Mr. Solly; Mrs. Ann Mercer, Sir E. Filmer, Rev.G. Rushleigh, and St. John’s College, Cambridge, who are also appropriators.

THE CHURCH, dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul, principally in the latter style of English architecture, was founded by one of the family of Colepeper;  the living is a vicarage valued in the Kingg’s books at £15. 13s.4d., now £300.  Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury; Rev. Charles Fielding, LL.B., incumbent.  The tithes were commuted in 1844.  the vicarage is a neat residence, mantled with ivy.

The Baptists and Wesleyans have each a chapel in the village.  A fair is held on June 12th.

MOTTENDEN, is a manor situated in the northern part of the parish, formerly possessed by the Rokeslein family, one of whom, in 1224, founded a priory on it for friars of the order of the Holy Trinity, being the first house of that order in England.  Their habit was a white gown, with a red and blue cross on their breasts; at the suppression of all such religious houses it was valued at £60.13s.0 1/2d.

Rishfords is a manor at the north-east extremity of the village, for which a court is held; it is now possessed by Mrs. Ann Mercer.  Barling Green, situated 1 ½ mile E. b N. from the church, Four Oaks, 1 ½ mile N.W., Hearnden Green, 1 ½ mile N. by E. are scattered hamlets in this parish.

CHARITIES: The Rev. John Fotherby, in 1616, gave a rent charge of 40s. per annum out of the Bank Farm: 10s. thereof for a sermon on the day of his burial, and 30s. amongst the poorest persons of the parish. 

Johh toplife, in 1637, bequeathed a tenement, garden, and small plot of ground, for the benefit of four poor householders not receiving parish relief.

Clement Fish, in 1638, bequeathed 40s. yearly, to poor persons of the parish not receiving parochial alms.

Thomas Swaffer gave by will, in 1646, 15s. per annum out of a tenement called Plushmonded.  This tenement came into the hands of the parish, and was occupied by paupers;  and the rent-charge was not paid for a long time: the overseers consented, in 1836, to distribute the amount yearly to the poor.

Rev. Samuel Whiston, in 1701, bequeathed a rent-charge of £5 per annum: 10s. thereof to the minister for preaching a semon on the 2nd May, and a like sum for a sermon on the day of his interment; at each sermon a sum of 40s. to be distributed to the poor who should come to the church on those days.  The testator further gave the rents of a a house and orchard to poor persons not receiving parochial relief.  These premises are let for £9.9s.per annum, which is given according to the donor’s will.

POST-OFFICE – MARK CORK, Postmaster

Letters arrive at eight o’clock in the morning and are despatched at six in the evening.

Burden, Thos. Corn and flour dealer
Davis Mrs. Mary, Austin House
Day Wm. Plumber and Glazier
Dear, Mr. Geo.
Evenden,, John, Saddler & Ironmonger
Francis, Walter Goldsmith, Hairdresser
Fielding, Rev. Chas. LL.B Vicarage
Hodge, Wm. Glover
Hunt, Chas. Watch and Clock Maker
Hyland, James, Tailor
Mercer, Mrs. Ann
Milliner, Dive, Farrier
Osborne, Joseph, Parochial School
Osmer, Wm. Baker
Ottaway, Thos, Parish Clerk
Rofe, Thos. Boarding School
Saint, Rev. Christmas, (Baptist)
Skinner, David, Druggist & Apothecary
Taylor, Mrs. Eliz.

INNS & TAVERNS
George & Dragon, Sarah Day
King’s Arms, Wm. Foster

BEERHOUSES
Crowcher, Wm.
Cornes, Wm.
Smith, Joseph

BLACKSMITHS
Burton, Edw.
King, Edw.
Philpot, Wm.

BOOT & SHOE MAKERS
Bridge, Joseph
Corke, Mark
Ottaway, Thos.

BUTCHERS
Boorman, Alfred
Waghorn, Chas.

CARPENTERS
Hart, Thos.
Norris, Peter

CORN MILLERS
Boorman, Chas.
Mercer, Geo.

FARMERS
Barham, Lewis
Burton, Michael
Buss, Danl. Barling Green
Carter, John
Children, James
Collison, Jno. Water Lane
Cooke, Thos.
Crouch, Jesse
Deane, James, Stone Stile
Freeman, Rd. Osborn
Growns, Thos.
Hones, Wm. Burnt House
Hornewood, Isaac
Hosmer, James
Joy, Robt. Stone Stile
Love, Henry
Mercer, Geo.
Mercer, John
Munn, Thos.
Oyler, Geo.
Peen, Thos.
Potter, James
Standen, Geo. Kelsham
Tassell, Mary
Tassell, Philip
Tassell, Wm.
Thorpe, James
Thorpe, John
Vane, John, Crottenden
Viney, Geo. Great Mottenden
Witherden, Wm.
Wood, John

GROCERS AND DRAPERS
Fuller, Trayton
Unicume, Jas. & General Dealer
Wyard, Wm.

WHEELWRIGHTS
Norris, Whitcomb
Parks, Stephen

CARRIERS
Couchman, Elijah, to Maidstone, Tuesday, Thursday, & Saturday.
Van daily to Tenterden at 9 in the morning
Omnibus from Tenterden to the Railway Station at half-past 10 in the morning.

Taken from Bagshaw’s History, Gazetteer & Directory of Kent 1847

 

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines