LYMINGE, is an extensive parish, and ancient village, 3 ½ miles N. by E. from Hythe, which contains 4,594 acres of land, of which nearly 1,500 acres are in woods; the soil is mostly a red earth, abounding with flints. In 1841 here were 140 houses, and 941 inhabitants; population in 1801, 491; in 1831, 784. The principal landowners are William P. Honywood, Esq., Colonel E. Sawbridge, Stephen Kelcey, Messrs. Thos. And Henry Rigden, Thomas Papillon, Esq., and the Rev.R. Price, the latter is also lord of the manor. There are several springs in this parish which occasionally burst forth and form the stream usually called the Nailbourn, which runs on with a great gush of waters by Barham to the head of the Little Stour. D. Gale conjectures, that at this village two Roman Ways intersected each other, one from Lenham to Saltwood Castle, and the other from Canterbury to Stutful.
THE CHURCH, (St. Mary and St. Eadburgh) consists of nave, side aisles, and chancel, with a low tower, in which are six bells and a clock. It contains some neat tablets to the Price, Papillon, and other families. The living is a rectory with the chapels of Stanford and Paddlesworth annexed, valued at £625, in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. R. Price. There are about 40 acres of glebe in this parish. There is a rectory and vicarage endowed belong to this Church, both of which receive institution and induction. The rectorial tithes are commuted for £465.17s.3d., and the vicarial, for £287.7s.9d.
The WESLEYANS have a small chapel here, built in 1835; and there is a Charity School in the village.
EACH-END HILL is a hamlet, 1 mile S.E. from the Church.
THE ELHAM UNION HOUSE is pleasantly situated, and was built in 1836, at a cost of £4,500, for the accommodation of 300 inmates; and is now in course of being enlarged by the addition of side wings. The Union embraces the parishes of Acrise, Cheriton, Elham, Elmsted, Folkestone, Hawkings, Hythe, Lyminge, Lympne, Monks Horton, Newington, Paddlesworth, Postling, Saltwood, Sellinge, Standford, Stelling, Stowting, and Swingfield. There are 21 guardians appointed, to whom Thos. Mount, Esq., is Chairman; Mr. Rt. Thompson, Clerk and Super Registrar;, Rev. Wm. Tylden, Chaplain; Stephen Macdonald, Relieving Officer; and Mr. and Mrs. Kilroy, Master and Matron.
STONE HALL, 3 ½ miles N. from the church is the residence of Stephen Kelcey, Esq., Shuttlesfield, a hamlet one mile S.E.
CHARITIES: Timothy Bedenfield, by will 1691, gave certain houses and lands, towards the education and maintenance of poor children of the parishes of Lyminge, Dymchurch, and Smeeth, and 30s. yearly to be distributed to six poor women of the said parishes. The property consists of 26 acres, in St. Mary, Romney-marsh, let for £80 per annum; a cottage and 31 acres in Lyminge producing £28 yearly, and a cottage and garden at Woodchurch let for a yearly sum of £3.10s. A portion of the funds are applicable to the support of youths at one of the Universities, but no applications have been made for this specific object since 1776. – William Kingsford, in 1817, left a ren-charge of £10 per annum issuing out of certain lands for the instruction of children of this parish and Paddlesworth.
Marked 1, reside at Eachend Hill; 2, Woodland; 3, Mockbeggar; 4, Shuttlesfield.
Banks, Jas. Bricklayer
1, Dent, Noah, Beerhouse
File, Geo. Shopkeeper
File, Thos. Carrier
Fox, Miss E.J. Schoolmistress
Fox, Geo. Shoemaker
Friend, Thos. Victualler, Coach & Horses
Gibbs, Stephen, Corn Miller
Hogben, Jas. Tailor
Hogben, Thos. Smith
Jacob, Thos. Grocer
Kelcey, Stephen, jnr. Esq. Stone Hall
Kelcey, Stephen, Esq. Stone St.
Kemp, Thos. Shoemaker
Kilroy, Michael, Governor of Union
Laver, Geo. Esq. Solicitor
1, Pledge, Thos. Butcher
Prebble, John, Carpenter
Price, Rev. Ralph, Rectory
1, Rigden, Edw. Carpenter
Rigden, Hy. Esq. Broad St. House
Squire, Elizabeth, Grocer
1, Standforth, Mr. Thos.
3 Swain, Nicholas, Victualler, The Gate
Tylden, Rev. Wm.
Valder, Fredk. Schoolmaster
3, Broadbridge, Wm.
1, Collick, John
4, Hambrook, Richard
4, Kelcey, John, Grazier
4, Laws, Wm. & G. Graziers
2, Nonnington, Michael
2, Prebble, Geo
1, Rigden, Thos & Hy.
4, Sawkins, Wm.
4, Woollett, Norwood, Jnr.
Taken from Bagshaw's History, Gazetteer and Directory of Kent 1847