Kent History Forum

News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Maidstone Zoo.  (Read 32139 times)

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
Re: Maidstone Zoo.
« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2015, 12:17:18 »

Sir Garrard Tyrwhitt-Drake on his white horse at the head of Maidstone Carnival 1964

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 82
« Reply #62 on: August 29, 2014, 12:15:49 »
I'm going to agree as well  :) a lovely collection of photo's . Thanks helcion for adding the link.
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 71
« Reply #61 on: August 29, 2014, 12:06:31 »
Wholeheartedly agree with you, grandarog!

Frederick Carley must have been the first photographer at the zoo and preceded Ronald White, whose shop is still in Maidstone and run by his son, Ivan.

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 95
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #60 on: August 29, 2014, 09:47:20 »
What a marvellous collection! Well found helcion. :) That`s exactly as I remember the places.

Having just spent an hour going through the photos, it appears that Fred was the tame photographer for the Zoo. He has recorded the annual opening days and all the celebrity visitors throughout the 1938 & 1939 seasons. Lovely picture of all the Windmill girls. The Zoo was actually begun and opened for the first time in 1934.

Offline helcion

• Appreciation 29
« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2014, 21:31:28 »
When I was a little lad in the late 40s I remember a visit to the zoo & can recall the railway track along the approach road, but don't remember a train on it.

However I have come across a large number of high quality pictures that seem to have been taken on the opening day of the zoo with many well-dressed people.
Amongst the 80 or so photos there are many photos of the railway & the photos are credited to 'Frederick Carley'

The photos are in the 'Kent Photo Archive' & I attach just one of the railway photos   -  I'm not sure whether we're allowed to post pix from other sites   -   if this is not permitted would one of the mod.team kindly delete the photo.

The link to the photo is   -

http://www.kentphotoarchive.com/kpa/search/thumblarge.php?townkeywordname=&featurekeywordname=ZOO&startnumber=28&pagenumber=1

The archive home page is   -

http://www.kentphotoarchive.com/kpa/desktopindex.php

The site is packed with some wonderful photos   -   to find the zoo photos just type 'zoo' into the 'Feature' box & choose from the offerings that will come up.

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 95
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #58 on: May 01, 2014, 20:40:22 »
Great bit of Film. I remember visiting the Zoo a couple of times about then but don`t recall seeing Polar Bears. The big attraction were the 2 Elephants Gert and Daisy and riding on a Camel. :)

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 71
« Reply #57 on: May 01, 2014, 05:23:57 »
PM sent.

Leah T

« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2014, 12:11:53 »
Hello there! I'm trying to organise a small free exhibition at Kent Life Heritage Farm Park in Sandling to mark the 80th anniversary of the opening of Maidstone Zoo. We've got lots of wonderful photos that have kindly been loaned to us by various people and we'd love to also include the wonderful cine film footage that Gazza7558 posted on YouTube.

We have no idea who owns the copyright but we'd dearly love to talk to Gazza7558, or anyone else who has a version of the film that they'd be happy to lend us so that Kent Life visitors can enjoy during their time with us. We've already contacted Rodmersham Primary School to see if anyone can help us but had no joy so far.

If Gazza7558, or anyone else, can help, please get in touch! We're hoping to launch our little exhibition in June (2014).

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2013, 06:46:26 »
Very good Gazza "Thank you"

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 71
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2013, 20:37:01 »
Many thanks Gazza! That was great. I`ll let Vickie Harris know about this as I`m sure she doesn`t know about this. Thanks again!
I had the pleasure of speaking to Mrs Harris yesterday. It appears she has seen this before, I believe as a result of a talk she gave on the subject of Maidstone zoo, a former pupil of the school who also had a copy of the original cine film showed it to her. As an aside, the tape contains about 40 minutes of footage in total, with very clear film of young children at school sports days etc. I'll post them in due course as those children will be in their 60's by now. It would be great to be able to identify a few of those on the film.
Gazza7558, at the same time that you posted, I was in Vickie`s house and about to surprise her with news of the film, but by her expression I realised that she already knew about it. She then told me the whole story how this came about.  A few faces on the film seem to be familiar and also the name Ledger. Anyway, thanks again for this unique piece of film.

Offline ann

• Appreciation 50
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2013, 16:36:37 »
What a lovely film clip, I really enjoyed the nostalgia of it. My mother used to do my hair just like the little girls shown, with the enormous bow.  Made me recall my childhood.  I can remember being taken to the zoo as a child by my parents, and getting a bus there, but sadly that it all I remember.  Incidentally I liked the accompanying music track, any idea what it was?

Gazza7558

« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2013, 15:35:20 »
Many thanks Gazza! That was great. I`ll let Vickie Harris know about this as I`m sure she doesn`t know about this. Thanks again!
I had the pleasure of speaking to Mrs Harris yesterday. It appears she has seen this before, I believe as a result of a talk she gave on the subject of Maidstone zoo, a former pupil of the school who also had a copy of the original cine film showed it to her. As an aside, the tape contains about 40 minutes of footage in total, with very clear film of young children at school sports days etc. I'll post them in due course as those children will be in their 60's by now. It would be great to be able to identify a few of those on the film.

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 82
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2013, 14:59:58 »
Many thanks from me too Gazza ! Wonderful clip, it was great.  :)
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 71
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2013, 13:34:19 »

Gazza7558

« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2013, 13:22:49 »
Sorry to have to say that the video is still private.

I know I've done it right this time, my colleague downstairs has just opened it.  I'm confident if you try this now it will work.
http://youtu.be/fWo67L9wIFQ

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines