News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Royal Marine Barracks, Chatham  (Read 60285 times)

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 67
Re: Royal Marine Barracks, Chatham
« Reply #72 on: July 04, 2017, 12:33:34 »
Looking at the IKS videos it looks like it was a really dangerous place to visit unless you were an experienced explorer.

Offline HenryB

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #71 on: July 04, 2017, 10:50:44 »
I went down this morning / last night 03/07/17 - 04/07/17 and it has been welded shut around the edges. I literally missed it by hours as I looked in the day and it was fine. I could completely wrong but I spoke to a person who's been down before and he said it's the correct one.

Just to confirm - WELDED SHUT as of 04/07/17

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 76
« Reply #70 on: July 02, 2017, 19:17:55 »
Does anybody know if the Royal Marines Deepshelters at Dock Road Barracks that were/are still accessible?
 I understand that when the council offices were built in the 1960`s the top 2 levels were still intact.with 4 entrances
 I wonder if they are used by the council to store archives or just sealed off.

They are still there grandarog

https://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/underground-sites/35152-royal-marines-deep-refuge-chatham-kent-july-2017-a.html
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline bromptonboy

• Appreciation 34
« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2017, 10:57:30 »
Many happy and sometime frightening hours spent down the Deep Refuge. In the 1960's the power was still on for a short while just after the RMPRO departed Melville Barracks. They were in pristine condition then! These tunnel were built just before WW2 and were first used on Sunday 3rd September 1939 when the false alarm was sounded for an air raid. (Info from BBC Peoples War website)

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
« Reply #67 on: November 12, 2016, 17:33:25 »
As far as I know they are still there but sealed off.
=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 102
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #66 on: November 12, 2016, 17:31:48 »
 Does anybody know if the Royal Marines Deepshelters at Dock Road Barracks that were/are still accessible?
 I understand that when the council offices were built in the 1960`s the top 2 levels were still intact.with 4 entrances
 I wonder if they are used by the council to store archives or just sealed off.

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 76
« Reply #65 on: July 16, 2015, 14:13:59 »
There's a Pathe news reel about the barracks filmed in 1940 here..

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/king-at-chatham-aka-king-at-chathah/query/royal+marines+chatham
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline Davecee

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #64 on: July 15, 2015, 19:45:08 »
A few more here for possible “car dating” evidence

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

DMC
 :)

OK, that photo was taken in 1972, I was one of the cadets in the photo, having just read the lesson at a service at the Church inside the main gate.

As for the question about the drum major tossing his mace over the arch, it was true and if you visit the RM museum in Portsmouth where the mace is on display you can see the result of one drum major "dropping the catch" resulting in a large dent.

Incidentally, my uncle was in the RM band at the time, in the photo mentioned before all the other cadets had standard gilt cap badges whereas I had an original brass badge given to me by my uncle - the globe had been polished so much that the details on the globe had been completely polished off

Offline bromptonboy

• Appreciation 34
« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2014, 09:07:47 »
Hi Sheppey Kingmaker, I think you probably mean the pictures on Reply 14 as there are none with Reply 15?
The pictures Leofwine has posted are almost certainly taken at the Royal Marines Gun Drill Battery in Chatham. This was located on the east side of the hill behind Melville Barracks.

Offline The Sheppey Kingmaker

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #62 on: February 26, 2014, 15:28:22 »
Looking at the first photo on '#Reply 15', the photo looks more likely to have been taken at HMS Wildfire in Sheerness Dockyard as the Glass window and the stairway look like the ones on the Small Basin side of HMS Wildfire.   

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2014, 18:50:03 »
Chatham Naval Establishment

Plan showing cell accommodation.

Called for by D.W. Minute No. 2286 of 24th July 1883.

Cells at Marine Barracks.

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
    • Kent's Historical Sites
« Reply #60 on: June 21, 2012, 09:48:52 »
A plan of the Barracks from 1911:

cliveh

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2012, 21:17:05 »
9th March 1954

Mr. A.G. Bottomley (Chatham & Rochester)

As the First Lord knows, the Royal Marine Barracks, Chatham, are unoccupied for the first time in 200 years. Had these buildings been used, there would have been no waste, but they have been neglected and are rapidly deteriorating. That famous parade ground has weeds on it for the first time. I know that it has now been given to the Army, but surely the First Lord should have considered more fully the proposition that I made to him earlier, when the Chamber of Trade wanted to inspect the site in order that it could be considered for industrial purposes. We did not have a very good reply from the First Lord, who was not at all sympathetic. All I can say is that the ratepayers of the town are losing about £3,000 a year. I should like to know what will now be the cost of putting these barracks into a reasonable condition. I imagine that it would be very high. Not only are the citizens of the borough suffering locally, therefore, through higher rates, but they have to pay more taxes nationally because of this kind of neglect.

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2012, 11:31:11 »
Kentish Gazette - Tuesday 19 August 1856

CHATHAM.
INTERESTING CEREMONY. — An interesting ceremony was witnessed at the Marine Barracks on Wednesday, that of presentation of the cross of the Legion of Honour, which had been awarded by the Emperor of the French to Major G. B. Rodney and Captain D. Blyth, of the Chatham division, for distinguished conduct during the late war. Major Rodney and Captain Blyth are the only officers of Chatham division of Royal Marines who have been decorated with this honor.
=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines