News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Royal Marine Barracks, Chatham  (Read 56210 times)

Offline bromptonboy

• Appreciation 34
Re: Royal Marine Barracks, Chatham
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2011, 07:33:21 »
The parade most mostly regular RM with added contingents from the Chatham RMR and the Chatham Cadet Units. The cadets brought up the rear of the parade.
Ref the parade. Zeebrugge--- hms vindictive of course . a ship that 'returned' to chatham and embarked chatham division royal marines.
strangly the reason i stumbled onto this site was my search for information on the vindindicive in relation to her cruises 1925 to 1928 and the actions the ship's royal marines were involved in. If anyone can help with information it would be appreciated.
p.s. i think the band may be regulars but the contigent marching is most certainly cadets.

Offline Wardy

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2011, 03:32:46 »
My father and older locals in Brompton told me of the mace over the gateway.
  I remember this well, only a kid at the time but the the feat is still vivid in my mind, the gate had to be 30ft high.  I have seen bands around the world and feat or no feat none compare to The Marines..... in my oppinion that is but there again I'm a Chatham boy

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2011, 23:42:17 »
20 Apl. , 1777 , Navy Board letter. The Hill House field having been approved as a proper place to build Marine Barracks, we have purchased the remaining lease.

02 Sept , 1779 , First occupation of their new Barracks by Royal Marines, Chatham Division.

Hill House was on the corner of Red Cat Lane and Dock Lane/Road with Hill house field where some of the Royal Marine Parade ground and part of the Barracks were.

Going back to the start of this thread, does anyone have any more information and/or pictures of Hill House? The only picture I have been able to find so far is on an engraving showing Chatham and the Dockyard in 1738, but it doesn't give much detail. However, on the key it does say "Hill House or Pay Office."   Does anyone know who or what it would have peen the pay office for? (Gun wharf maybe?)
=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

ubique

« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2011, 21:56:47 »
Ref the parade. Zeebrugge--- hms vindictive of course . a ship that 'returned' to chatham and embarked chatham division royal marines.
strangly the reason i stumbled onto this site was my search for information on the vindindicive in relation to her cruises 1925 to 1928 and the actions the ship's royal marines were involved in. If anyone can help with information it would be appreciated.
p.s. i think the band may be regulars but the contigent marching is most certainly cadets.

Offline bromptonboy

• Appreciation 34
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2011, 07:41:28 »
It is good to see something reminding us the the Royal Marines were in Chatham Just a pity it is not on the site of the RM barracks but on the Navy Gun Wharf!

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2011, 04:10:59 »
I'd never actually noticed that stone down there!  Looks as though it could use a little TLC though. Might be worth mentioning at the World Heritage meeting next week.
=========

Offline DMC

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2011, 20:39:46 »
A few more here for possible “car dating” evidence

DMC
 :)

Offline bromptonboy

• Appreciation 34
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2011, 17:10:54 »
Re: The Parade. St George's Day 1968. It was the 50th anniversary of the Zeebrugge raid that the Chatham Battalion RM played a major part in as well as ships prepared in Chatham Dockyard.

The 'site boards' were up for the site to be sold, again! It was originally sold out of Admiralty ownership in the early 1950's to Palfreys the paper sack manufacturers. This was after a plan to centralise the Royal Dockyard Technical Schools there fell through.

The barrack block that can be seen was the last remaining building of the old barracks. The extreme right hand portion was the original quarters for the Commandant of the Chatham Division until he moved into the newly acquired Melville Barracks occupying the former house of the Surgeon Superintendent. can you imagine a Major General these days having a front door onto a public highway!

The tunnel Ubique's sister mentions was the RM Deep Refuge. There were two entrances just inside the Dock Road wall of the barracks, an exit into Melville Barracks and an exit into the Gun Drill Battery. It was (still is) on two levels. The lower level was all accommodation with triple level bunks. The upper level was admin offices, plant rooms and a casualty clearing station. The main air intake for the tunnels was via a huge galvanised metal chimney next to the Gun Drill Battery entrance.

ubique

« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2011, 16:14:51 »
That looks like a SITE ENTRANCE board on the side of the gates.I wonder who the agents were or was Crown land dealt with differently?
I was stationed at kitchener 1968/69 and fairly sure that the dock road wall was insitu but cannot vouch for the barrack buildings.
 Ford cortina in pic.is mk1 version launched in 1962 so this could be late 60's early 70's. Royal marine contigent are carrying colours of some sort and as the weather looks like summer or spring time could this have been something like a Queen's birthday parade?  

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2011, 21:54:57 »
Thanks for posting those DMC, you have now confirmed that I am not suffering from false memories!  When I came across some old photos of the entrance to the RM Barracks I was convinced they looked familiar and that I had seen them as a child, but on digging around I found out the barracks had closed before I was born!  The fact that they were still there, but presumably derelict, in the 70s means I probably did see them as a youngster!

The dating I have found for the barracks so far is: Building approved 1777, first occupied 1779, in use to 1959. The barracks were gradually vacated from 1950-59.  Lloyds of London was relocated to a new office across the former four-acre site of the Royal Marine barracks, from London in 1980.

I guess this means that parts of the barracks may have survived into the mid to late 70s before being demolished to make way for Lloyds.
=========

Offline DMC

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2011, 21:44:55 »
Found these pictures of, what i think, is the entrance to the RM barracks in dock road during some parade or other. Looks like they were taken early/mid 70’s (judging by how old i look in some of the other pics from the same batch)

DMC

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2011, 21:25:47 »
It's great hearing these memories of how Brompton was, thanks for posting them ubique. I can fill in a couple of details there:

High Street our side  shops I can remember but some gaps.as so many shops closed during the war and had not opened properly afterwards
Hunnisett Military Tailors,    Greengrocer. –     Coppers Fish Merchant. Alleyway to back of 53 High Street.     Bookshop.    53 Off licence (NYE)   55 Tailors Shop (NYE) and where we lived until 1952 .
Grocers  (Jell)    Bookshp,  Fish & Chips (Baker)   Cosey Café.  Chemist (Farrow)   Alley   ?  Hairdresser   ?  Grocers Shop (Friend)  ??  Wine Shop.   Greengrocer (I think they were called Green, kids always in trouble)  ??   Bakers Shop (Mr Hasemore)    ??   Army & Navy Stores. ??  Two Sawyers Pub   Alley which went through to Manor Street some houses in the Alley, really slums. – Garage?   Conservative Club
Then it gets vague, but there was another Café then a wool shop/Post Office .  Hotel on corner.

The first alley was probably Flaxman's Alley (although I hadn't realised it was still there that late!), the second alley would be Sawyer's Alley. The hotel on the corner was the Queen's Head Hotel, and one local says he remembers that by the 40s/50s (maybe before) it was almost exclusively used by the 'luvvies' from the various rep companies that were forever passing through, putting on shows at Chatham's various theatres.

Opposite side going down – Newsagent  ??  Sweetshop  Son RM killed in the War.   ??   Pub on the corner Westcourt Street   Pub other corner (White Lion)   Shoe repairs (John Unexpected Smith) I think someone opened a sort of Junk Shop in this area.  Fish & Chips (Williams)   Barbers Sho   Newsagent corner of Middle Street. Opp – Grocers Shop, China shop, Butcherr, gap  Sweetshop (Edna’s Mum –Fares)  Barber, Factory, Cliffe’s Café. Corner of Westcourt Street.

The pubs on the corners of Westcourt Street were The British Legion Club (had been the Navy Arms until about 1918) and the Golden Lion (one of the oldest Brompton Pubs, known locally as the Beast, it closed around 2000). And I think Cliffe's Cafe was by the corner of Wood Street, not Westcourt Street, but I may be wrong.
=========

ubique

« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2011, 20:07:08 »
Have received the following via e mail from my sister who will be joining the forum.

High Street our side  shops I can remember but some gaps.as so many shops closed during the war and had not opened properly afterwards

Hunnisett Military Tailors,    Greengrocer. –     Coppers Fish Merchant. Alleyway to back of 53 High Street.     Bookshop.    53 Off licence (NYE)   55 Tailors Shop (NYE) and where we lived until 1952 .

Grocers  (Jell)    Bookshp,  Fish & Chips (Baker)   Cosey Café.  Chemist (Farrow)   Alley   ?  Hairdresser   ?  Grocers Shop (Friend)  ??  Wine Shop.   Greengrocer (I think they were called Green, kids always in trouble)  ??   Bakers Shop (Mr Hasemore)    ??   Army & Navy Stores. ??  Two Sawyers Pub   Alley which went through to Manor Street some houses in the Alley, really slums. – Garage?   Conservative Club

Then it gets vague, but there was another Café then a wool shop/Post Office .  Hotel on corner.

Opposite side going down – Newsagent  ??  Sweetshop  Son RM killed in the War.   ??   Pub on the corner Westcourt Street   Pub other corner (White Lion)   Shoe repairs (John Unexpected Smith) I think someone opened a sort of Junk Shop in this area.  Fish & Chips (Williams)   Barbers Sho   Newsagent corner of Middle Street. Opp – Grocers Shop, China shop, Butcherr, gap  Sweetshop (Edna’s Mum –Fares)  Barber, Factory, Cliffe’s Café. Corner of Westcourt Street.

I remember the RM Guard at the Gate of The Gun Battery –we lived in RM married qtrs in The Gun Battery  until the outbreak of War.    I used to play all over the area in and around the guns and don’t ever remember  being warned off.     The qtrs overlooked what you call Brompton Hill but what I knew as Melville Hill .    I remember going across to Melville to the Officers Qtrs.   Dad was friend with a chap called Charles Wildie  don’t know what rank he was but he seemed to be able to pull a lot of strings.

I remember the childrens Christmas Parties in the Sgts Mess, with the Magician and the film show as well as the presents.  Also remember Christmas Parties in the WO’s Mess which was small and not half as nice as the Sgts.

I used to go to the Sgts Mess with Dad after Church Parade on Sundays – the Parade fell out and then the band  stay and would play on the square

On one occasion a friend and I were about to have a’ tea party’ on a corner of the main Square – which caused quite an uproar, I remember Dad removing me but I think secretly he was amused.

During the war we used to go to film shows in The Globe Theatre – Main Barracks     RM Sports Field was on The Lines, Nr War Memorial  and was used for Bugle Practise     Where are Chatham Division Silver Bugles I wonder, I remember being shown them.  Also wonder where the huge model ships that were in the Sgts Mess went to?

Sgts mess was far end of the main block =dockyard end.  WO’s mess near the small gate, building to the right facing the parade ground.

You could walk through a tunnel from the main barracks up to the Gun Battery – but I cannot remember the entry and exit points.I am pretty sure they were used as Deep shelters during the blitz     There were tunnels all over the area, I was lead to believe all the Forts were connected.  I used to go into the ones at the end of Sally Port – they went up to the old fort on the lines – scared the lights out of me  all dark and damp  so I didn’t go far. My imagination of finding the bones of French Prisoners of War got the better of me – no doubt the tunnels were collapsed in places – no Health and Safety then.

Dad, as you know moved from Chatham  during the later part of the war to Latymers House Penshurst which was the Pay Office

ubique

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2011, 14:21:10 »
Thank you Bromptonboy.I am slowly getting to grips with the wealth of information on this site.Although born into Brompton Iwas a short term resident then a regular visitor to Royal Engineer related barracks etc.I am hoping that my sister will join the forum as she has a lot of memories pre war up to early 50,s especially RM related.By the way she has told me my Grandparents did live in Brompton High street at one time so it is possible that the Mrs. Nye  you knew was the old matriarch herself.She chain smoked Turf Cigarettes and was a demon card player.

Offline bromptonboy

• Appreciation 34
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2011, 13:27:04 »
Ubique, you may well have seen an RM Guard on the gate to Melville Barracks. Although the main body of RM's left Chatham in 1950, Melville Barracks was retained as the RM Pay and Records Office until the early 60's when it was closed as part of the cut-backs that saw Nore Command wound up and Sheerness Dockyard closed.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines