News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 1932 Murders at Charing by a deserter from Shornecliffe.  (Read 117 times)

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
Re: 1932 Murders at Charing by a deserter from Shornecliffe.
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2017, 17:52:12 »
Pics restored

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2010, 22:57:49 »
You are very welcome  :)

famheads

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2010, 19:49:20 »
Hi my thanks to Kyn for the CD.

With reference to "fairground shooting" mentioned by seafordpete in the early part of this thread.
I have managed via the Timesonline to find the following:-

Times July 12TH 1930.
SIDNEY THOMAS WILLIAM ANDERSON. 24. ship's steward, of Powell Road Clapton was charged on remand with attempting to murder Mr Guy Doran and Mr Francis Reginald Salt proprietors of a rifle range in Villiers Street. Strand, by shooting them with a revolver.
Mr Salt gave evidence that Anderson came to the range at 8.30 p.m. on June 5 and said he wished to try some target shooting with a .38 officer's model Colt revolver.
He fired 30 shots at targets, and witness then announced that it was closing time. At that moment he heard a cry of "Hands up!" followed by a shot at the end of the range where Anderson was standing.
"I went towards the place where the shot was fired and my partner, Mr Doran, staggered towards me, and said "I have been shot." I went towards Anderson and he covered me with a revolver and said "Hands up". I closed with him and held the revolver down. One shot went in my left foot and one into my right knee.
Two customers came forward and pinned him down on the firing bench, and in the struggle the revolver dropped to the ground. It contained five empty shells and one live cartridge." In cross examination Mr Salt also stated that he had not heard any quarrel and that Anderson seemed very excited.
Mr Doran had been shot in the chest and was unable to attend the hearing
A police-constable who was called stated that when arrested Anderson said "I went funny. I did not mean any harm"
Anderson was remanded. Mr Howe also requested Anderson?s committal on an alternative charge of grievous harm.

TIMES Saturday Sep 13 1930

At the Central Criminal Court yesterday, before Justice Finlay, SIDNEY THOMAS WILLIAM ANDERSON. 24. steward, was indicted for wounding Guy Robertson Albert Doran and Francis Salt in a rifle range in Villiers Street, Strand with the intent to murder or to do grievous harm. Mr G. B. McClure prosecuted; Mr Holford Knight, K.C. and Mr F.S. Patterson appeared for the defence. The prisoners defence was that the firing of the revolver which wounded the prosecutors was an accident. The jury found the prisoner Not Guilty on the murder charge, but Guilty of wounding with intent to do grievous bodily harm. The Judge sentenced the prisoner to 15 months' imprisonment.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2010, 15:33:41 »
Hi, if you send me a personal message with an address I will get all the files I hold copied over and post them to you.  That way they are full size!  I don't think there will be much more information that what I have already posted but it does mean you have your own copies  :)

famheads

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2010, 15:29:18 »
Hi all
This is my first posting to this forum.
I am doing some research for the Wadhurst History Society. http://www.wadhurst.info/whs/
and found this thread.
I  have collated a fair amout of information on this murder but still have some gaps & queries and wonder if any of you can help.

1) I have a court report of a remand to 28th June 1932 at Ashford, then nothing until  the trial on November 25th 1932 at Maidstone.
This may just be that I am not looking in the correct area, I am assuming he would have been held either at Maidstone or Canterbury during this period.
2) The CRO record  mentions the same crime twice (1st Feb 1927). once theft of ?10 and pince-nez. Then of ?11.50 on the same date?
3) The arrest report also seems to use the name of Sydney T W Anderson was this a third alias?
4) kyn, A copy of the other reports would be most welcome.
5) I assume that Collins would have been detained at Broadmoor, I can find no death date or record.
6) I can find no evidence to support the "fairground" incident mentioned in the first post of this thread.

Any other information gratefully received.
In return I have faily extensive records for Wadhurst and an index of the headstones in the Churchyard.
Thanks for reading this
Robin

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009, 19:05:36 »
Last bit.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 14:05:52 »

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 10:33:40 »
I have missed out some of the statements as they are a bit graphic, anyone wants copies let me know...

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 15:50:34 »

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 12:36:46 »

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 14:22:05 »

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 23:19:49 »
For personal study and educational use only, not for commercial re-sale

seafordpete

1932 Murders at Charing by a deserter from Shornecliffe.
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 10:06:43 »
He was tried at Maidstone 25 Nov 1932, guilty-insane to be held during His Majesty's Pleasure. Nothing on the earlier shooting yet.

Victims were Janie Swift (61) Olde Sportsman Inn Seasalter
her daughter
Janie Stemp  (35 )White Hart Inn Wadhurst
her daughter
Peggy Stemp (13)

It was at Kings Wood Challock

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines