News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Kent Farm Institute at Grove End Farm  (Read 14917 times)

exopper

Re: Kent Farm Institute at Grove End Farm
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 23:00:03 »
grandarog
having tried the link to Sittingbourne museum I cannot find a search box and so have not found pic of parents. Which is a pity I was looking forward to meeting them again after all these years.Perhaps there is another way?

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 101
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 19:08:12 »
Harry Banfield was the Thatcher as well as the Shepherd . Jack Mudge was the cowman. Charlie Brown was Colins Dad . Frank Crouch had a Brother Bill who also worked on the farm he died when we were quite young. As an aside you must all remember with dread Miss Holness the headmistress at Tunstall school. She wouldnt take any truck from todays lippy kids.There are some very interesting threads about life in Tunstall before and during the War on the Sittingbourne Museum Website.
                         http://www.sittingbourne-museum.co.uk/ .
  Nigel if you put Hop Picking Photo in the search box and scroll down theres a couple of pics of my dad and mum .

Do you recognise the little lad 2nd from right 2nd row from front Nigel?

exopper

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 17:28:42 »
I believe the shepherd was Harry Banfield, but I don't remember the Thatcher.
Does anyone recall Cecil Fishenden, my uncle?

dave

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 16:31:17 »

What a list of names from the past, well remember Harry Gammon and charlie wright, Do you remember the Shepherd and thatchers names?
A famous student of my era was E K Martin a badly injured ex Mosquito pilot, who in our teenage ignorance took the mickey out of him. The fruities always looked down on the agri mob.

exopper

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 10:34:04 »
Yes I am, see my email address in my profile. Thank you for the names and jobs which I will add to my growing list. If enough contributions are made on this topic I intend to compile the info and will be glad to give a copy to every contributor.

I cannot find any published history of KFI at Grove End: does anyone know of one, published or private?

Does anyone have a group class photo or others of the personalities we remember?

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 101
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 21:46:14 »
Hi Ex hopper,Welcome to the Forum.
                How about, George Harris the Hop Foreman.,Charlie Brown the Fruit Foreman , ??? Epps the Aggri. Foreman, Frank Crouch labourer,John Renolds tractor driver, Harry Banfield the Shepherd  Charlie Wright the Waggoner ,Harry Gammon Tractor driver to mention just a few as well as George Rockcliff. Then there were the suits from the college little  Jimmy Hart the Principle,I cant remember all the names . The fruit suit was ??? Stuart he had a Jowett Javeline car. The aggri students painted "Stuarts Folly" on theFruit  Cold Store when it was built.(Really wound him up ,caused a lot of trouble)It eventually was bought by Eden Park before Doves croft Housing estate was built.
               You've got me trying to work out who you are now. bet you are one of the Jury boys!! :)

exopper

Kent Farm Institute at Grove End Farm
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 09:47:11 »
As a boy growing up in Tunstall during early 1950s I have very happy memories of Grove End Farm, playing in their buildings, helping with harvesting, fruit picking and of course the annual rite of 'opping.

Sixty years on, KFI long moved to Hadlow [1966], my career having taken me away from Kent, does anyone else remember those glorious days? The green and silver Field Marshall tractor with its single cylinder engine pom-pom-pom-ing as it powered the thresher, or daringly stroking Barry the bull's curly forehead, safely outside his pen, or pulling the first bine of iridescent green hops, nostrils smarting with their sulphurous smell.

Or listening enthralled to George Rockcliff's tales of wartime derring-do, prompted by one of the many army cap badges decorating his leather belt.

Those were the days.....

Can anyone help me enlarge my memory  of Grove End Farm in the 1950s?

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines