News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: double deck trains  (Read 20138 times)

exopper

Re: double deck trains
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 14:07:45 »
Having checked link given by DaveJ - thanks- I can see why they did not catch on. They appear to be distinctly unsafe!

Dovorian

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 14:06:26 »
I remember them well when visiting Dartford, my aunt used to get us up early in order to benefit from the cheaper workmens tickets for a trip into 'Town'.
It was all very exciting and I can still visualise the host of men, some suited others in overals, each hurriedly making their way down Station Road. It was the more exciting because they were 'electric' trains, where I came from we only had steam!

seafordpete

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 13:26:23 »
Strange they never caught on here and yet the rest of Europe seems to use them without problem. The Paris RER is nearly all that type

Offline grouse

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 13:17:32 »
I remember these trains in the mid-late 60's. They were on the Charing Cross to Dartford line. Was a real treat as a kid to get on one

davej

exopper

double deck trains
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 11:03:22 »
Nobody believes me when I mention the curious double-decker trains I remember seeing at [I think] Cannon St station during a short commuting period to London from Sittingbourne mid 1960s.

I believe they were specifically designed for sardine treatment of short distance commuters from Dartford, but as with most things forty years ago, I ain't sure.

But I am sure I saw them, did anyone else?

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines