News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Rochester market memories  (Read 13509 times)

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
Re: Rochester market memories
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2014, 19:26:15 »
My gran used to live in Gillingham and I can remember walking to the market across the lines and past the memorial,she always bought me something from the toy stall
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline doug

• Appreciation 14
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2014, 16:12:16 »
The guy selling  crockery at Ramsgate market would have half a dinner service balanced on his arm. But seem to remember  he was called Angel and probably had a background in the wrestling world. You did not want your stall next to his, when he was working the crowd, nobody could see your stall.

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2014, 07:54:27 »
I've still got a blue metal toolbox I bought at the market back in the 70s. Must have done a million miles in the back of utes travelling rough outback roads in Oz and planes by now.
AlanH.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2014, 15:54:44 »
Yes, there was.
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline Troyboy

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2014, 15:35:49 »
Was there an Abattoir on the corner of Blue Boar Lane, where the Rochester Social Club now stands, that some of the livestock were taken to from the Cattle Market? Have memories of some of the cows breaking free during the cattle drive and heading toward the High Street.

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 36
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2013, 23:44:00 »
Yes indeed Smiler, must have taken ages to set some of the stalls out! Perhaps you remember the toy stall ,it was the first one you came to just inside the main entrance, next to the garage, you could spend hours looking and not see it all, or so it seemed to us boys. He sold a lot of new toys, some not even in the shops. He also sold some real tat, fell apart when you looked at it.
Do you recall the hot dog van, right at the back up against the railway fence,1/6 for a tea and bacon roll, just the thing on a cold winter morning, you could smell it from Corporation Street.

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2013, 10:46:23 »
I too remember the crockery man great to stand and listen to him, gift of the gab and very funny with it. Really good stall stacked high must have taken a while to set up, not like a lot today that unload there stock from a few old bread trays, more like boot fairs than markets.

Offline mad4amanda

• Appreciation 8
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2013, 22:25:35 »
My mum has a picture of me somewhere with that monkey on my head from Rochester Market, I also remember the crockery man with a dinnerset on each arm.

Must find that picture.

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 36
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2013, 03:52:56 »
Hi,
Once again I'm somewhat late with my blog. Rochester market was used for livestock dealing well into the early fifties. We lads used to play hooky from school and earn 2/6 a day helping the stock men. I will never forget the squeals of the pigs as the metal tags were stapled to their ears. We used to jump between the pens to grab a pig for marking; my pal Eddy Price slipped on the rail one day. He spent two weeks in St Barts and came out minus a portion of his anatomy. I think he was moved to the alto section in the school choir.

price

Offline Mike S

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2011, 11:24:10 »
The Cattle pen area was also used for the general market on Fridays, with boards across to make a table top area similar to the free standing market stalls. When I lived in Rochester in the late 1950's, used to rush home from school on Fridays - used to earn the princely sum of one shilling helping one of the traders load his van.

Offline ann

• Appreciation 50
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2011, 10:57:19 »
Yes Bryn, I remember Strong. I used to see him at Gravesend outside market on a Saturday.  Always had quite a crowd round him.

Talking of Rochester Market. Does anyone remember the corrugated iron building that also had stalls inside.  Why did it close?

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2011, 10:53:29 »
Yes, great pictures. It looks like the cattle pens were permanent, so the site must have been in two parts, one for the cattle market and one for the general market. My book (my post of 14/3/2011) mentions general markets on Wednesdays and Fridays, but I only remember them on Fridays. Does anybody actually remember the Wednesday ones?
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2011, 10:31:50 »
Does anyone remember a chap called Strong who sold crockery at the market? He became quite famous and I remember him being featured on TV. He could display a whole dinner service on one arm. I think he appeared at most markets, definitely Maidstone and Gravesend, I never saw him drop a single item.

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 83
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2011, 09:23:36 »
That's just how I remember the market, it was so busy. Great pics numanfan, thanks.
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2011, 08:44:48 »

numanfan ,Fantastic pictures, I still think it was a big mistake to close the market.Maybe the council should put more thought into the people who live in Rochester rather than just those who visit, im sure we could work with both to welcome and enjoy our history aswell as continue to live and enjoy what was once a city that had all we needed on our doorstep.
***I am still the child within***

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines