News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Jack Parnell Photographer  (Read 5429 times)

Offline pr1uk

• Appreciation 8
Re: Jack Parnell Photographer
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2018, 11:56:16 »
Jack Parnell was a very well known bandleader. Maybe, like many others, Bob was nicknamed after a famous person. For instance I have no idea what my friend “Bob” Hope’s real Christian name was, and my godfather was always “Tommy” Tucker, not Peter.

I remember Jack Parnell the band leader and no it was Bob Parnell, pronounced Parnell but may have really been Purnell he was a good friend of my Grandfather and very well known always had his camera wherever he went.
To be contented in life you must learn the difference between what you want and what you need
-Peter

Online filmer01

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2018, 11:31:47 »
Jack Parnell was a very well known bandleader. Maybe, like many others, Bob was nicknamed after a famous person. For instance I have no idea what my friend “Bob” Hope’s real Christian name was, and my godfather was always “Tommy” Tucker, not Peter.
Illegitimus nil carborundum

Offline pr1uk

• Appreciation 8
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2018, 10:16:43 »
I remember Jack Parnell, he came to the darts competitions round Medway around the 60's, as said a very pleasent man.
I wonder what became of his pictures, it must be massive collection and what history. Rambo

Going through some old post and yes, Bob came to mind. No idea where Jack came from unless there were two. The one I remember, who took so many photos and was a great friend of my Grandfather, was indeed Bob Parnell.
To be contented in life you must learn the difference between what you want and what you need
-Peter

erfman

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 21:55:51 »
wardy!! well done!! you are spot on mate, after reading your post, i had a sense that you were right! so i went up stairs and raked out my old pics, lo and behold...R.Purnell photographer, 179 Pagitt Street Chatham..."R" Robert, Bob? he used to stamp his name and address on the back of all his pics.   :) erfman

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Wardy

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 18:43:48 »
Ever since this thread started something's been nagging me about this guys' name and today it came to me, am I going wonky or was his name really "Bob"? Bob Parnell rolls off my tongue easier than Jack. Whoops!

Offline Rambo

• Appreciation 7
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 12:36:34 »
I remember Jack Parnell, he came to the darts competitions round Medway around the 60's, as said a very pleasent man.
I wonder what became of his pictures, it must be massive collection and what history. Rambo

Offline pr1uk

• Appreciation 8
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 04:12:38 »
It's great that others remember Jack he was a real character i wonder if anyone can find a photo of him i doubt it as said he was always about with his camera. When i started photography i would walk around with a light meter and a few times he said let me take a photo of you and the family. Giving him my camera i would ask do you want the light meter no he would say and he just set the camera up and took the shot and yes they always came out spot on. Dont suppose anyone would remember the camera he used back then i can't think myself wish i had taken more notice in those days
-Peter

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 03:39:03 »
I remember him well and still have a pic of a mate and me leaning on the bar in the Imperial Forces pub in Military Road when I was about 18.
The length of our sideboards in those days was horrible!
I'll see if I can get it scanned and posted up.
AlanH.

erfman

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 19:35:10 »
pr1uk i remember Jack Parnell very well, as wardy said he would frequent every venue going, you could rely on Jack being there, i can boast as being one of his regular customers.I used to go to the invicta bingo and dance hall back in the early 60s, sure enough Jack would turn up  with his camera. He used to live in Pagit st Chatham, nice quiet man and yes i still have a few of the photos that he took of us back then... no you cant see them   :) :)  erfman

Offline pr1uk

• Appreciation 8
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 15:09:50 »
Jack Parnell was a very well known character in his time, covered a lot of local events and sold the prints. He also covered weddings and christening and could be found photographing the "lads" and their birds at the Pav,  Pagett, Town Hall and the Central. I'll bet there are loads of his prints about that nobody knows where they come from. Jack lived in Chatham, just up from the Station, have fond memories of him in his gaberdine mac and trilby with his camera bag slung over his shoulder, the paparazzi have nothing on him.

Glad someone else remembers him he was a great person and as said he was about everywhere and took a great photo too. He was a very good friend of my grandfather (bodger Brown) in Perry Street and when i visited they were more often then not sitting playing crib. People like him as you said with his mac and trilby plus camera (never met him without it) are a very missed person and a real legion in their day.     
-Peter

Offline Wardy

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 14:15:08 »
Jack Parnell was a very well known character in his time, covered a lot of local events and sold the prints. He also covered weddings and christening and could be found photographing the "lads" and their birds at the Pav,  Pagett, Town Hall and the Central. I'll bet there are loads of his prints about that nobody knows where they come from. Jack lived in Chatham, just up from the Station, have fond memories of him in his gaberdine mac and trilby with his camera bag slung over his shoulder, the paparazzi have nothing on him.

Offline pr1uk

• Appreciation 8
Jack Parnell Photographer
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 11:36:57 »
I was looking through old photos and they were taken by a friend of my family especially my grandfather a professional photographer in Chatham named Jack Parnell does anyone remember him. The photos were taken in the 60s and he was retired then but was always about taking photos of the family until his passing.
-Peter

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines