News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Rochester market memories  (Read 13514 times)

MOK

Re: Rochester market memories
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2011, 07:59:26 »
Parsnips, 3 1/2 New Pence.... happy days :)

Offline kenty

• Appreciation 5
    • Images21
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2011, 03:52:56 »
I used to like going to Rochester market - how did we ever let it slip away....
Follow The 'fleet - The Team of Dreams

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 98
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 21:45:13 »
Us lads from the old Rochester Technical School 1n the 1950,s used to frequent the market during dinner break. Remember buying big bags of Jelly Baby trimmings for a few pence. Occassionally had some actual jelly babies in among all the bits.

chippy1

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 18:53:14 »
I have very fond memories of the friday market at Rochester,living just along from there in the early 70s,my parents were the landlord and landlady of the Rochester Castle pub in corporation street(sadly demolished in 1974).
Fridays were our busiest day because of trade from the market ,i do believe we had a special clause in our license,which allowed us to open at 5 oclock in the morning to accomodate the market traders.
Me and other lads my age used to help the traders unload in the morning,before we went to school,for a bit of pin money(would nt be allowed now). I remember the fire well,i came home from school to find the public bar full of fire damaged goods, clothing,electrical goods,records ,loads of stuff that the bin men had salvaged and brought over in favour of  a couple of pints.Happy Days.

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 21:22:37 »
We used to love walking around the flea market early on a Saturday morning and purchased some lovely items over the years. I stiil use a Chapmans split cane carp rod that I bought there. What has happened to these flea markets over the years..mid kent college had one as did Chatham dockyard..I really miss them.

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 20:36:09 »
The flea market did close I think too sometime in the 90s as I used to go there too it had so many stalls and the only markets close by are nowhere near as big.
***I am still the child within***

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 13:51:49 »
It wasn't only cattle that was sold there, it was sheep and pigs as well. I remember how the pigs squealed when they pierced their ears for tagging (but was it for that - I thought tagging was something modern?)
There was still a Saturday Flea Market there in the 1990s - I imagine that has now closed.
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 83
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 13:30:15 »
Have a guess peterchall....... it's a Car Park. I used to love going there and remember all that has been spoken about. It was always busy and there wasn't much you couldn't buy . I do remember the cattle pens but don't know when they went and hubby remembers the slaughter house just along from the market, he used to sit on the wall and watch. He said that was still there in the 60s but it's the 50s he remembers the cattle.
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 10:51:43 »
I found this in another paragraph of the book: “In 1787 a market was established for the buying and selling of cattle on the fourth Tuesday in every month, at the place now used as a cattle market. (My underlining). Since the book was published in 1928 it probably does refer to the location in Corporation Street. I can’t find out when it started to be used as a general market, or when its use as that or a cattle market stopped. What is the site used for now?

There is the following information in the book:

A fair held on St Dunstan’s Day for three days, the first being for the sale of cattle.

A fair held on St Andrew’s Day for three days.

29 May 1675: Authority for a market every Friday under the Guildhall “for the sale of poultry, butter, pigs, and garden stuffs”. In 1689 this was moved to “the place under the new building….intended be used as a Court Hall”.

A Corn Market every Tuesday.

30 June 1698: “A market place with stalls is to be erected at some convenient place for a ‘flesh market’ and butchers are to put their stalls there and not in the High Street”.

1 May 1731: It was “ordered that no persons shall use the Butchers’ Market for the drying of clothes and other things”. (I wonder what prompted that)

6 November 1756: Richard Bristow hired the markets from the City for £12/year to run the markets and collect rents from the stallholders.

There is a "record of a market having once existed in the space between the King’s Head Hotel and the land called Epaule Lane”.

There appears to have been 2 market days because:
1.   In 1620 the Attorney-General brought a Court Action questioning the legality of the St Dunstan’s Day and At Andrew’s Day Fairs, and of holding 2 market days/week. The City won.
2.   “No foreign butchers or bakers shall come on market days, viz: Wednesday and Friday, they shall not stay longer than 12 o’clock, and they shall not sell door-to-door but keep to the market”. (There seems to be some contradictions in that)

Not many actual locations are mentioned; has anyone any ideas as to where they may be?

merc

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 23:53:51 »
Apparantly Prime Minister, Edward Heath, made a brief visit to Rochester Market when he visited the Medway Towns in February 1974. Just before the election that resulted in a hung parliament and shortly afterwards he resigned as Prime Minister.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 22:26:42 »
I can remember the cattle market being there before the war on Tuesdays.

Book "History of Rochester" by F.F.Smith has a whole chapter on Rochester Markets. A quick glance shows that authority to hold a cattle market on the fourth Tuesday of every month was obtained in 1787, but it doesn't say where, and I doubt if it was where the Corporation Street one was. The book was published in 1928 in the style of writing of the time and is rather heavy reading, but I'll have a look to see if I can find anything else.

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 42
Rochester market memories
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 18:51:30 »
Does anyone know when the Rochester market that used to be along Corporation street was first held there and when it closed or does anyone have any pictures and memories they would like to share.I lived not far from the market as a child and remember in the centre was a big corrigated shed which I was told sold cattle, this had stopped by the time my mum used to take us round and inside there where ordinary stalls,There was a lady who told fortunes there ,a man who took pictures of people with a little monkey on their heads,they had the butcher stall and many great stuff sold there it was a place we always went to on a friday which only rain stopped, the market was always packed and once they closed it the new one that replaced it elsewhere in Rochester , never seemed to take off anyway as popular as the old one. I also remember when there was a fire back in the 70s in the old market, I think it started in a foam selling stall, I do remember some people selling off burnt or singed garments on the cheap which went down well in those hard times. Does anyone have any other memories of the old market.
***I am still the child within***

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines