News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: St Mary's Church, Chatham  (Read 79928 times)

Offline davpott

• Appreciation 47
Re: St Mary's Church, Chatham
« Reply #102 on: February 08, 2013, 16:35:21 »
Thanks davpott.  I did it in a hurry, before I closed my pc yesterday. Must remember to check properly!  :)

Don't worry, we all do it from time to time :)

It would be useful to know where Sirenetta came across the reference to a St. Thomas the Martyr chapel which for some reason disappeared during the early stages of the reformation.

busyglen

« Reply #101 on: February 08, 2013, 15:14:24 »
Thanks davpott.  I did it in a hurry, before I closed my pc yesterday.  Must remember to check properly!  :)

Offline davpott

• Appreciation 47
« Reply #100 on: February 07, 2013, 20:23:37 »
There's a mention of a St. Mary's here: http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=15045.0    I don't know if this is the one you were looking for in Gillingham?

No that's a different saint  :)  That's St. Mary Magdalene not St. Mary.

I think we know which one we are talking about just not when it was founded. Sirenetta has suggested that it was in the 1300s. Both Leofwine have pointed out that St. Mary, Chatham is known to have been founded long before the rebuilding of 1316.

A dedication to this St. Mary (in this case Jesus's mother Mary), will always be a very early foundation she being the most holy saint of the catholic church.

busyglen

« Reply #99 on: February 07, 2013, 19:53:40 »
There's a mention of a St. Mary's here: http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=15045.0    I don't know if this is the one you were looking for in Gillingham?

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 339
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
« Reply #98 on: February 07, 2013, 18:57:10 »
I'm intrigued where the idea 'there was no. St Marys before 1300' is springing from. The 1300 RE-build was probably at least the 3rd church of St. Mary on the site of an earlier (12th century) Norman church, which itself replaced the earlier church that was founded in 947 (according to the church's own 'Millenium Celebrations' in 1947) when it was still an active church. Some have also suggested that the 947 build was the first stone church on the site, replacing an earlier wooden Anglo-Saxon church or chapel.

Even hasted clearly states the church was RE-building in 1316.
=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

Offline davpott

• Appreciation 47
« Reply #97 on: February 07, 2013, 18:13:13 »
Churches called St Mary, will have been of very ancient foundation. Hasted, as quoted earlier, noted that the first church burnt down in the early 1300s.

Hasted makes no comment about a St Thomas chapel, it is very unusual for him to have missed something like that, what was your source?

Are you sure it wasn't just a chapel within St. Mary's? That would have vanished anytime after the start of the reformation, perhaps even as late as James I.

If it wasn't in the main church it is likely to have been part of one of the more remote manor houses to save them having to walk all of the way to the mother church.

Sirenetta

« Reply #96 on: February 07, 2013, 17:38:21 »
I have a bit of history indirectly related to St Mary's.  We think of it as having always been the parish church of Chatham, but there was a chapel dedicated to St Thomas the Martyr (ie, A Becket) in Chatham from at least 1250 until 1536, when it was demolished on the orders of Henry VIII.  It may have been built as early as 1170, then St Thomas was canonised.  St Mary's was not built until the 1300s, as earlier info in this thread records.  Chapels are usually linked to a "mother church".  In this case I don't think the mother church was the Cathedral, but I don't know which was - Canterbury, perhaps?  I think the Chapel lay somewhere off the old road from Chatham to Gillingham, possibly on the Lines, probably then in the woods which would have surrounded the hamlet of Chatham.  I have found nothing which records its exact site.  Does anyone have a clue?

Offline gatsovandel

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #95 on: January 12, 2013, 18:37:37 »
On Friday, council  was tidying up and cutting the grass , it looks well nice now.

heidi

« Reply #94 on: November 26, 2012, 18:09:02 »
Doug.
Must have been the same foreman! Did he work for JH Durrants in the past?
PS. I couldnt even climb the steps now to get to the top. Where did my youth go?

I was a bell ringer at this church and spent many weekends clearing leaves and clearing gutters. One of the bell ringers was killed on the way to bell ringing practice, cannot remember her name, in the 1970s, it was a shock to hear about it....

rochester1

« Reply #93 on: October 15, 2012, 13:28:46 »
Doug.
Must have been the same foreman! Did he work for JH Durrants in the past?
PS. I couldnt even climb the steps now to get to the top. Where did my youth go?

Offline doug

• Appreciation 16
« Reply #92 on: October 02, 2012, 17:38:07 »
We had a similar problem as rochester 1 . Ours was a trap hatch lid, nicely made by the joinery shop in Ramsgate. The plumber had done a lovely job on the lead covering. The fork lift truck put it on the lorry, it arrives on site, we man handle it off the lorry.
The driver being a clever chap disappeared as quickly as possible. With a length of rope, that probably came from when the Victory was built, was used to haul the hatch lid up the side of the tower, after as much swearing as the flag pole incident. The foreman said **** that, lets go home.

rochester1

« Reply #91 on: September 28, 2012, 10:36:24 »
Memories! These articles on St Mary's have brought back memories both of an incident that happened in about 1954 and also of my good friend (now sadly departed) and best man at my wedding, Raymond 'Doc' Ingle who was the curator of the Heritage Museum.
As stated in about 1954 and as an apprentice joiner at JH Durrant and Son of Rochester, I was given a long and slender tree trunk and told to turn it into a flag pole. After a few hours spent with a draw knife straightening and rounding the  'pole' I set to sanding and generally titivating. I was then instructed to make the 'truck' which fits on the top of the pole with a pulley let in to allow the flag to raise and lower. All was going well and I was quite proud of my efforts. I had delusions of becoming the 'Queen's Pole Maker In Chief'! My next instruction was to take the pole and along with four others, to install it on the tower of St Mary's church Chatham. We set off in the firm`s lorry and on arrival looked up in amazement at the height of this tower. I don`t know why but I thought it would be about ten feet off the ground!! Some ropes were found and while two stayed below the rest of us climbed to the top of the tower with the rope which we flung over the side of the tower. The pole was attached and we started to pull. Having got it half way up the two from below ran up the stairs to help us and eventually we managed to get it up and laid across the top of the tower.
After a breather and a quick Woodbine we then set about standing it on end to drop into the socket. Disaster struck. Given the fact that each of us held a guy rope while two steadied the pole, we found that to raise it was the devils own job but eventually there it stood almost ready to drop into the socket. It was at that moment that somebody let go of their guy rope!! The pole fell at an angle and started to ricochet around the top of the tower. People were in danger of being swept off and duck as you may it was difficult to get out of the way of the b****y thing. There was a cry of alarm and a lot of swearing as one chaps glasses were knocked off and swept over the tower walls to the ground below. The rest of us cowered!
Did we get it up? Of course we did but not without the aid of the 'Swearers Guide to Long Forgotten Curses'  First Edition. Happy days.

SKIT HEADS

« Reply #90 on: September 26, 2012, 23:45:49 »
Thank you to those of you who watched our short film. Like I said, I love this beautiful church and when inside for filming over the 4 days, I felt a sense of sadness that this place was being boarded up again, possibly for another 30 years or so. I have heard that Chatham Council are turning it into an office space. I contacted them but they denied all knowledge! I also contacted the Diocese of Rochester to find out if they still own St Mary's but, so far, have not heard from them. Anyone know who owns the building? Many thanks everyone.

davidt

« Reply #89 on: September 15, 2012, 09:40:01 »
Fantastic video. Thanks Skit Heads. It was nice to see the inside again. I was last in there when it was the heritage museum. I really hope something can be done to make good use of the building and preserve it for everyone to enjoy.

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 71
« Reply #88 on: September 12, 2012, 06:53:55 »
Thanks from me, too! What a magnificent building.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines