News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Troy Town school, Rochester  (Read 17168 times)

Offline Mike S

• Appreciation 11
Re: Troy Town school, Rochester
« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2016, 15:53:51 »
Yes you are right, have been racking my brain to think of the name, must be an age thing!

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2016, 14:08:39 »
The metal work master was a Mr  Maden, he died from the results of a ruptured appendix. I think the technical term was peritonitis .

Offline Mike S

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2016, 10:57:51 »
Yes he was in that building. The metalwork master at the time who's name I cannot remember died shortly before the move to Warren Wood.

Offline Troyboy

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2016, 10:53:10 »
Was Harry (bullet) Reeves the Woodwork Master, in the building alongside the playground which also housed the Metal Workshop.
Regards Troyboy

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2016, 08:40:00 »
I remember nearly all of them Mike S. Peter (Hogger) Holman and Taffy Davies were good people. Holman lived on Borstal Rd and Taffy just off Arethusa Rd., Warren Wood.
Harry (bullet) Reeves because of the shape of his head.  :)
Jock Lacey... balding with little glasses. Ruthven was a dry old bloke..... he had a glimmer in his eye whenever he looked at a maths dumbo like me which boded ill for recipient!
Patching and Parsons, yes I remember them and of course Frank Gold for PT. Heard a horrid tale about him years ago but have no knowledge of what happened to him.
He, to me, was a good bloke even if not happy with my idleness when it came to gymnastics. :-((
AlanH.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2016, 14:12:20 »
There was a Mr Patching at Balfour Juniors when I was there in the early '60s. I wonder if this is the same teacher?

Offline Mike S

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2016, 10:53:05 »
I have a vague recollection of a teacher by the name of Chesterton. Jack Marchant did go to Warren Wood for a short time, he almost broke my little finger at cricket practice in the nets. Other teachers:- Evans, Taffy Davies, Peter Holman, Charlie Cash, Jock Lacey, Jack Ruthven (replaced Marchant), Ron Patching, Arthur Simpson, Bill Bailey, Harry Reeve, Parsons - Metalwork. Robert Ashfield from the Cathedral for Music. Probably missed a few after all these years.

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2016, 08:51:37 »
I must admit I don't remember a Chesterton at all. But then the mind grows dim after all these years....  :)
AlanH.

Offline Troyboy

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2016, 20:38:04 »
Hello, rereading this topic another teacher 's name, Mr Chesterton, taught Geography, had thick moustache.
Regards Troyboy.

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2013, 11:49:40 »
Yes I do remember that Signals 99, thinking back the boy had very dark hair but for the life of me I can't remember his name. I left Troy Town and went to school down in Surrey and then Margate (Cliftonville actually) for around 3 years and then went to Warren Wood as Troy Town had been closed by then.
Lot of the old teachers went there as well but not Jack for which most of us were truly thankful. I'm sure he used to belt me extra hard as he couldn't make me cry......I must have been just too thick!
No brain no pain.
AlanH.

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2013, 10:37:07 »
Alan H, I well remember the 'belting' incident, just for once Jack Marchant got his just dessert ?
As you so rightly say, the man was a sadist, in today's enlightened education system he would not be allowed near a school. I wonder, do you recall the time he threw a black board eraser (is that PC?) at a lad in our class, knocked him out cold, plus cut his head. The headmaster gave us a lecture "under no circumstances was the incident to be discussed outside of school".
Boy, was I glad when the admiralty moved my dad and I left TroyTown.

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2013, 11:13:31 »
Thanks TroyBoy for bringing back so many memories of those teachers. Jack Marchant, as we've said before, was a sadist who, when it suited him, would either take us up to the sports ground by Jacksons rec (Fort Pitt?) or beat us for minor infractions of his rules.
I well remember him belting me and Timmy H for talking in class and Tim`s dad coming down and belting him in return!
Most teachers were pretty good people though even Bragg who was a hard task master.
AlanH.

Offline Troyboy

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2013, 07:21:02 »
I too had the privilege of going to Troy Town in the mid 50s. “Jack” Marchant was the Maths Teacher. We had to recite the Times Tables as we stood behind our seats waiting for him to come to class after the Teacher’s tea break. His only redeeming feature was that in the summer he would go into the upper playground with three stumps set in a block of wood and his cricket bat, he would allow anybody attempt to bowl him out. If anyone was successful, or was able to catch him out, either directly or off a rebound from the air raid shelters, he would pay a reward to them. Headmaster Collet, Maths Marchant, “Bill” Bailey English master, Bragg PT (bamboo pole for encouragement), Patching Craft Master (had a son named Robin, lived in Strood), Stevens Music, “Jack” Reeves, Art (believe he was a member of the Magic Circle) and Mr Woods, History (loved to talk about WW2).

Offline Merv

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2013, 03:14:11 »
Just come back to this, My time there would have been about 58 onwards
Miss Bailey lived up Rochester Maidstone Road opposite Cemetary.
Mr Richards was something to do with Rochester Swimming Pool, my Mother Hit him for 6 with her shoe when he was in St Margarets Street, he cained an elder Brother across the Kidneys. he smoked heavy
Beryl Bates  was special I thought.
My Favourite Teacher was a Mr Wellard, he lived in Maidstone Road Rainham and we got a Kitten from him that lived on till it was 20

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2012, 00:55:27 »
Hi, I also had the dubious pleasure of attending Troy Town yob factory for a while. I can confirm most of the staff names -  Headmaster Collet, Head Teacher Marchent, Gomm English master, Bragg PT, Patching Craft, Stevens Music, Reevs Art and my favourite Mr Woods History .
Ref the Palmer clan. I seem to recall a "peddler" Palmer in my class. The name Richard Halet  bought back memories; he lived in Union Street just up King Street, a fantastic cricketer. I often wondered if he went professional after I left the area. Love to hear from any old boys of my era.
Colin Walsh (you would have known me as Colin Gale 1951 to 1953).

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines