News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Troy Town school, Rochester  (Read 17120 times)

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
Troy Town school, Rochester
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2010, 03:21:07 »
Hi Chatham Girl.
That certainly stirred the brain cells and I can see the playground we used and that Jack Marchant used shout at us from the top floor window before beating the last one out!
Alan.

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2010, 03:17:33 »
I certainly remember the Palmers but not sure of the nickname "snotty" but they were a scruffy lot. They lived in Theobold Square off Rochester High St. before it was bought by the French and renamed La Providence or something.
There was a Pongo Palmer who was a yob who didn't smell too good hence the name, and the oldest of the lot was also the nicest but I can't recall his name.
Bob Latimer, tall boy with dark hair maybe? Not sure on that one.
Alan.

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2010, 22:23:57 »
Alan H,
 Hubby asked if you remember 'Snotty' Palmer who was at the school at the time , his parents won the pools and he'd come into school with 35 notes ??? and if you remember Bob Latimer, you'd have all been there together.
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 11:33:45 »
Thats the pic I saw the other day. And the two buildings on the left ( a nice one and another 'new' factory building) have gone and been replaced by apartments. I knew the lollipop lady from the school, she had so much bother from tenants in the flats, throwing stones etc ?? that she gave up the job. She'd been there years.
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Chatham_Girl85

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 11:05:18 »

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 10:36:46 »
Can't remember how tall he was but can remember the glint in his eye as he bought the cane down on your hand from virtually touching the ground behind him. I can remember the storekeeper laughing as he selected the whippiest bamboo cane from a green cupboard in the corner of the store and I had to hand over the threepenny bit Jack had given me :)
3 strokes was the minimum punishment and I got a double dose many a time. Must have been a slow learner. :)
Gave me a few bruises but nothing lasting and I never gave him the satisfaction of crying at the pain!
Alan.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 10:23:15 »
He was quite a tall thin bloke.
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 09:35:49 »
He would have been in his 50s easily when I was there. He had silver hair and a small moustache as well as a sadistic streak. But as you say Peter he could be an entirely different person and as I said earlier he would suddenly decide we would play cricket instead of doing Maths if the weather was right.
Going to school with weirdos like that certainly would have done no good at all to vunerable kids. Didn't harm me though, I'm just as nutty as a fruit cake! :)
Alan.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 12:22:01 »
I was only looking  at a pic of Troy Town school the other day after the new Medway Images archive was linked on here. My husband also went to the school in the 50s , he remembers that sadistic Maths teacher too well , he believes his name was Marchant, but doesn't know what happened to him , also thinks the English teacher was Mr Bailey and maybe the Head Master was Mr Collier. This forum does jog the old grey cells. I remember the building well.

I went to Troy Town School in 1940-1941, and my class teacher was a Mr. Marchant. Could it have been the same bloke? I imagine he would have been in his late 40s, so it's possible he was still there in the 1950s. He used the cane at the slightest provocation, but on the other hand I can remember him stopping the class at the top of the stairs while I went down because I'd hurt my knee and had difficulty walking. The name Collier also rings a bell, but I can't remember anything about him.

Most of Troy Town School was evacuated when the war started and I think there was only enough pupils left behind for a couple of classes. For some reason his classroom was upstairs - why, in an almost empty school? I can also remember being in a classroom next to where the firemen from the Foord Street AFS station were accommodated; they used to come in and warn our (lady) teacher when there was a 'yellow' air-raid alert. Time scale is difficult to remember, but I have a vague notion that Mr Marchant's class was the 'big' school.

I agree about the forum jogging the memory. There is a saying "use it or lose it" and I'm sure that's true so far as my memory is concerned.
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 06:10:29 »
Jack Marchant was his name. He used to lean out of a window, blow his whistle then shout "Last boy out gets the cane"! There was an instant rush for the gate which was wide enough for maybe two at the most to get through at a time and of course someone had to be last so he always got his fun by caning some boy.
On other occassions he'd be a different person and we'd turn up for Maths and end up going to the sports field up by Fort Pitt I think and playing cricket. Definitely a head case.
Yes there was a teacher by the name of Bailey and Mr Collier was the head. He was a small rotund man and had a large growth on the back of his neck but was reasonable head for a school which had some rough types going there.
I think the teacher Bailey left there and went to Warren Wood and if it's the same person I remember him having to subdue one of the toughs from down the Delce one morning when the boy was going to bash him. The teacher was a much heavier man and eventually got the boy down on the ground while some other lads ran off to get help.
Like you my memory gets better the more I follow the forum. I think my sister in NZ also logs in for a look every now and again.
Alan.

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 16:29:12 »
That was a good find.

I was only looking  at a pic of Troy Town school the other day after the new Medway Images archive was linked on here. My husband also went to the school in the 50s , he remembers that sadistic Maths teacher too well , he believes his name was Marchant, but doesn't know what happened to him , also thinks the English teacher was Mr Bailey and maybe the Head Master was Mr Collier. This forum does jog the old grey cells. I remember the building well.

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 10:27:27 »
Can't help with the origins of the name but I went to secondary school at Troy Town for a while back in the fifties. We had a sadistic maths teacher there who sent those who misbehaved (in his warped mind), round to the little corner shop on Cazenuve St to buy the bamboo cane he would get thrashed with!
He gave me and a mate a good hiding on a couple of times one day and got a good hiding himself from my mates Dad.
I left not long after so not sure if it changed his behaviour but I doubt it.
Just another small totally irrelevant tale from years ago. :)
Alan.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines