News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: St Bartholomew's Church, Templar Street, Dover, circa 1950.  (Read 10036 times)

keniff

Re: St Bartholomew's Church, Templar Street, Dover, circa 1950.
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 20:40:24 »
Is the bottom picture taken in Folkestone ?

Dovorian

St Bartholomew's Church, Templar Street, Dover, circa 1950.
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 20:33:46 »
I was a chorister at St Bart's in the 50's when the vicar was the Reverend Peter Priest. Peter had been an Army Chaplain and saw service in Europe during WW11.
He was Chaplain to the combined services in Rome immediately after the cessation of hostilities and later returned to the U.K. to take up his post in Dover.
St Bart's was closely linked with Charlton Church and services were occasionaly held in the other parish.
For a number of years St Bart's also made an annual visit to a church near the fish market in Folkestone to assist with the Blessing of the Sea.
These services took place on the quayside at the fish market after a steep descent procession from the church on the hill.
A treat for the choristers was the annaul outing by hired double decker to a pantomime at the Garden Theatre in Folkestone.
My father was a part time organist at St Bart's, he was responsible for church hall bookings as well as being heavily involved in the running of the church.
My mother used to assist with the cleaning of the church every week and was ably assisted by a good friend and employee who worked with her in the family greengrocery business.
Sadly the church was later declared redundant and demolished to make way for a block of flats.
The photos are of the High Altar in St Bartholomew's circa 1950 and the Blessing of the Sea during the same period.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines