News: In 1834 a 13 metre long Iguanadon fossil was found in Queen’s Road in Maidstone
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Troy Town and the Delce Boundary  (Read 3460 times)

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 166
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
Troy Town and the Delce Boundary
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 13:31:02 »
Apologies for the poor quality, but I've marked the area on the 1897 map, bordered by John Street, King Street, and Delce Road, on to the 1907 map in red. Does anyone know what that area represents? There seems to have been a lot of development in 10 years.

Unfortunately it's on the edge of the map, but according to the key, Troy Town is both a Municipal Ward and a Church Parish, each having different boundaries.
Press 'Ctrl' & '+' to enlarge.
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 36
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 17:00:46 »
Brilliant! Thank you peterchall. :)

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 166
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 16:55:51 »
Does anyone know if Troy Town and the Delce has/had a "boundary" as such? I've lived in the area since the late '70's and haven't really been able to find out if one exists/existed, although I did hear one story that the Delce begins at the top of Fort Street.
1907 map of Chatham has (among other boundaries) Municipal Wards marked by dashed lines and Roman Capitals, and Civil Parishes marked by dotted lines and Italic Capitals. It shows both 'TROY TOWN WARD' and 'TROY TOWN', in the area of King Street, Foord Street, Ross Street, but the boundary lines are impossible to follow.
The only reference to Delce that I can see is 'Great Delce' in small print in the open space between Delce Road and Pattens Lane (now City Way), near to Onslow Road. Also the Delce Tower of Fort Delce, near Fort Street.
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 36
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 23:25:32 »
Does anyone know if Troy Town and the Delce has/had a "boundary" as such? I've lived in the area since the late '70's and haven't really been able to find out if one exists/existed, although I did hear one story that the Delce begins at the top of Fort Street.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines