News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Re: Troy Town, Rochester  (Read 33794 times)

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 166
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
Re: Troy Town, Rochester
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2010, 17:20:53 »
Thanks again, Numanfan. The map answers some questions about both Maidstone Road and Queen Street.

There is only 1 building in Dunnings Lane, behind the Forester's, so must have been a depository in 1941 when the UXB fell, and became a garage later.
Nos113 & 115 are there, as well as Hoopers Road, so it was much narrower than now; I reckon it was where the lay-by with the blue car is.

No 31 Queen Street seems a very small detached house between the gardens of Henry Street and John Street.
Providence Place was 3 houses accessed from the alley at the back of James Street. I've just noticed it in the 1937 Kelly's, and now remember that the 'Costens' was the family with 13 kids.

A couple of minor 'diversions': Dunnings Lane from Maidstone Road down past the Foresters was white cobblestones.
The first house in Watts Avenue, opposite to the end of Queen Street, was occupied by brother and sister Drs William & Anne Duguid (pronounced Dogood, which is probably why we were on their 'Panel' :))
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

VN

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2010, 11:26:55 »
Brilliant Numanfan. Many thanks.
Actually the green fronted building covers what was 97 & 99. I was surprised to see the two houses at the top of Hoopers Road go missing, VN, and don't know what happened to them, but I'm sure there was no bomb damage. And it's strange that they went in two stages. The house on the opposite side of Hoopers Road is 117 in both years; it?d be interesting to know what it is now (a job for you ?local lads? :)).

I can confirm that the house next to Hoopers Road is still number 117!

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 166
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2010, 21:56:24 »
Looks like there was space for two houses across the top of Hoopers Road. Was it once 'blocked off' from Maidstone Road in the same way that I think Henry Street was 'blocked off' from Queen Street? (See recent post on Queen Street).

Yes, Numanfan, that was the garage, and the Foresters was out of sight to the right. The flats that you can  just see the corner of may have been the location of the depository I mentioned earlier; I'm not sure now whether it was that or the garage that got the UXB.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 166
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2010, 20:56:18 »
Brilliant Numanfan. Many thanks.
Actually the green fronted building covers what was 97 & 99. I was surprised to see the two houses at the top of Hoopers Road go missing, VN, and don't know what happened to them, but I'm sure there was no bomb damage. And it's strange that they went in two stages. The house on the opposite side of Hoopers Road is 117 in both years; it'd be interesting to know what it is now (a job for you 'local lads' :)).

The building that was hit by the UXB in 1941 was out of sight to the right, at the bottom of the slope in the 2nd photo. It was a garage when I lived at the Foresters, is that still the case?

Looking at the 1937 Kelly's, I was right about No101 being a radio shop, but wrong about the Motor Engineer being next door at No99, although I now remember the name 'Bill Glover'.

For 1955 my dad is shown as the occupier of the Foresters, but he died in December 1954 and, as far as I know, he was the last landlord. 'Bill Glover' is now an electrical engineer but I'm sure he worked at, or owned, the garage in Dunnings Lane (or my wife is - must give credit where it's due :)). Also my wife's memory is confirmed in that the hairdresser at No111 was 'Alf Jennings'. (As I've said before, I lived there for about 8 years and she only knew the place because we were courting, yet she remembers more than I do :)).

VN

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2010, 20:44:23 »
Amazing, thank so much for posting these Newmanfan. Interesting to see that two houses on the end of the terrace closest to Hoopers Road have disappeared since 1955.

I guess this would have been to widen Hoopers Road which now falls immediately after 111 Maidstone Road, whereas in 1937, Hoopers Road came after number 115, and by 1955 Hoopers Road came after number 113 Maidstone Road.

Does anyone remember these houses being demolished? Was the first house bombed during the war perhaps?

Still trying to insert images here....

Offline numanfan

• Appreciation 122
    • www.move2medway.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2010, 11:52:14 »
From the Kelly's Directories:
          1937                                                                                                        

1937                                                                                                        

www.move2medway.co.uk - take the journey

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 166
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2010, 12:31:24 »
There was a Man of Kent in John Street and a Good Intent in Queen Street as far back as 1858, and possibly earlier. The Man of Kent had the appearance of a private house (see Reply#102) and was definitely in a different part of the street to the present one. Since they were the same brewers, is it a fair assumption that the same history applies to the Good Intent? There is a difference, however; the Man of Kent had a pub sign in 1920, but there are no visible pub signs in the photo of Queen Street.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 166
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2010, 20:58:41 »
My first 'grown-up' memory of Queen Street is from about 1940, when the G Intent was a 'modern' pub on the corner of Q St and a road that I can't remember the name of but I'm sure it is well pre-war. The same applies to the Man of Kent in John Street. While the left side of the street in my photo is familiar, and so is the distant part of the right side, I just can't visualise that blank wall with the writing on it, or the 'shop' window. I'm still guessing that the G Intent was there, and it and the MoK were rebuilt in the early 1930s judging from the style of the new buildings. But there is still the question of what replaced the old ones.

It's complicated by the fact that (according to Yellow Pages) both the pubs that were in Queen Street, the Morden Arms and Good Intent, are now almost next to each other in the present day John Street, but that is where the original Morden Street was.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 166
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2010, 21:35:58 »
Yes, there was a corner shop above the girl's hat, but I can't remember what sort - my main memory of the area is from 1935 - 1938 and 1940 - 1952, and I can only remember it being empty. Next door towards Maidstone Road was the 'office' (front room of a house) of a coal merchant where we were registered for coal rations, and I think we stayed with them even after I moved to Chatham.

On the left, I think about where the girl is, was a grocers called the 'Blue Shop'; I can't remember if that was its real name or just what we called it because of the colour. It was where we were registered for grocery rations. The owner's name was Roberts.

I only found this photo today while looking for something else, and have no idea where it came from or of its age. I would guess 1900 -1910, and I can see differences to when I knew it.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 166
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2010, 13:02:36 »
Queen Street, date unknown. Looking towards Maidstone Road. Forecourts of houses on left had gone by early 1930s. Looks like a pub on the right.

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2010, 10:03:25 »
Talking to my old, old mate he says Dark Lane was from St Williams Host up to the George, St Williams Way down to The Delce.

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 36
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2010, 10:30:03 »
Any idea as to why it was called Dark Lane seb?  Unlit perhaps?

seb

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 17:40:25 »
I am really pleased that someone has mentioned Dark Lane.   I thought it was the Delce.   I knew a Mrs Newman who lived in May Road (she would be about 150 years old now) and she told me about Dark Lane when I was a kid.  She grew up in some cottages on Star Hill.   Between the hill and Delce road there is an island with some buildings on it.  She lived on the Delce side going down the bottom of this island.   The ground they were on is still there.  It was hard for me to imagine then that anyone could live there, even more so now.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 166
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 13:03:42 »
Peterchall King St old picture are you saying this is taken looking up towards the Maidstone Rd from about where the post office was on the corner. I started work in King St in 59 an this is how I seem to remember it with the Black Moors Head opposite.
Yes. As far as I remember the 'Delce Road end' of King Street was more modern, and would have shown the church. The post office was on the corner of Cazenueve Street and King Street. On the opposite corner was a radio and bike shop, I think called 'Sharmans', where one or both of the Gray brothers once worked. Sharmans was where we took our radio accumulators for charging.

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 11:39:46 »
Peterchall King St old picture are you saying this is taken looking up towards the Maidstone Rd from about where the post office was on the corner. I started work in King St in 59 an this is how I seem to remember it with the Black Moors Head opposite.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines