News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Re: Troy Town, Rochester  (Read 34751 times)

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 166
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
Re: Troy Town, Rochester
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 10:52:00 »
The 1950 pic of King Street is the 'Maidstone Road' end, ie - the upward slope in the distance in the 2010 pic. My memory told me the houses were tiny 'two up-two down' dwellings, but some were actually quite large; ah, well, what tricks 60 years can play on the mind :). Troy Town School would have been just out of the pic, on the left.

The 2010 pic is of the 'Delce Road' end, and St peters Church was where what appears to be flats are. The Church had a clock (gold hands and numbers on a blue face) on which I learnt to tell the time. It was visible from Queen Street, looking down James Street, and my Grandad used to send me just along the road from his house in Queen St "to see the time". I remember coming back with my fingers set in position, saying "the hands are like this".

So Numanfan, thanks again for reminding me of happy memories.

It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

ukfirestorm

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 16:05:04 »
Love the old picture of rose street(that's where I live) my wife grew up on cecil road and said that all the roads around delce road (formally delce farm) were named after the farmers children, may, cecil, rose, catherine etc.is this true?

Merv

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 13:15:52 »
The white Hut in the lower picture was a concrete building and Troy Town school canteen.
Just behind it was a couple of cottages and The windmill cafe which was just down from Union street.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 166
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 11:37:15 »
I don't remember the white 'hut' on the corner of East Row/Cazeneuve Street. Does anyone know what it was?
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline numanfan

• Appreciation 122
    • www.move2medway.co.uk
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 10:29:36 »
Hope this brings back some memories :)

Where the recently demolished police station was built
www.move2medway.co.uk - take the journey

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines