News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 1820 Model of Sheerness Dockyard  (Read 13470 times)

Offline DaveTheTrain

• Appreciation 22
Re: 1820 Model of Sheerness Dockyard
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2018, 12:10:48 »
This is a very interesting report, thanks for posting.  I had to navigate my way through the planning portal, if others have to find it the application number is 502224.
DTT

Offline Desbrow

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2018, 23:19:01 »
The June 2018 planning application for the restoration of the dockyard church includes a detailed fifty-five page study on the dockyard model, prepared by M.J.Wells.

The report covers the background to the commissioning of the model, materials and construction techniques used and the state of the model as it now sits in storage at Fort Brockhurst.  There are archive and current photos throughout.

For those interested it can be found at the following link on the Swale planning applications website.

https://pa.midkent.gov.uk/online-applications/files/E00EFBB55B00625A4B9F677C570F2BAF/pdf/18_502224_FULL-Sheerness_Dockyard_Model_Report-4285079.pdf

(NB you may need to copy and paste the link rather than clicking through directly)

Here's hoping the Dockyard Preservation Trust are successful in their efforts and that the model will be restored, reassembled and on display in Sheerness in the not too distant future.

Sheppey Souvenirs

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2012, 00:03:03 »

Made my day seeing this model, having been dragged round fort brockhurst by EH  *** *** ***.

It is in amazing condition still, but i think it is a royal shame that it is in a locked store where few people get to see it, bring it back to Sheppey i say.  That is where it belongs in my opinion, but it is rather large to deal with.

I always thought that the model was built to aid the redesign of the docks, however the EH lady could not confirm this, and said its purpose was unkown, thoughts and opinions on this would be appreciated??
I may be stating the obvious but Looking at the attention to piling, which is only present on certain models, this appears to also be a model for the purpose of testing piling requirements. The buildings are scaled and accurate but do not appear to be produced for purely for aesthetic reasons. The Dockyard Church model for example has no piling evident. The wooden piles are apparent on the buildings within the Dockyard itself.
 Is it feasible that using a calculation of the buildings weight, and built with the correct proportions and weight distribution a model with the same centre of gravity could be achieved?. Using this model on a suitable bed of similar make up to the unstable conditions they were to be built upon could have ascertained piling requirements, quantity and distribution, shape of the arched footings and therefore the behaviour of each individual building on a drained coastal marsh. These appear to be additional to the longer stilt supports on the completely assembled model (photo).    

Offline CDP

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 87
    • SHEERNESS/SHEPPEY/PENNEY
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2011, 21:00:45 »
Model of Sheerness Dockyard shown in Sheerness Library 4th to 30th December 1999

The solution to every problem is a.) time , or  b.) another problem.

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2010, 16:52:40 »
The completed model,not very clear I'm afraid

To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Alan

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2010, 16:07:04 »

From the Sheppey Gazette June 9, 2010

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 409
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 23:44:32 »
Welcome to the forum Luton3, how great to be related to someone that could produce something so great  :)

The model is at Fort Brockhurst, who are still very protective of it so i hear!!!

Sheerness dockyard always belonged to the people of Sheppey and even though I believe the developers must not be allowed to knock holes in the wall.

Funny you should say that when the agreement when the dockyard was passed on was that no buildings were removed and the basins and docks stayed as they were.  The owners seem to have totally
forgotten about this!!!

luton3

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 22:30:07 »
Hi I'm new to this page and don't know Kent very well. Could someone tell me where the model of Sheerness is being kept.  It was made by George Stockwell and he was my 4xgreat gransfather!  Not that I'm proud of him at all.

Many thanks

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 409
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 22:34:50 »
Garrison Point Fort still ahve a piece  ;D

Maidstone Trooper

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 22:20:05 »
Made my day seeing this model, having been dragged round fort brockhurst by EH  *** *** ***.

It is in amazing condition still, but i think it is a royal shame that it is in a locked store where few people get to see it, bring it back to Sheppey i say.  That is where it belongs in my opinion, but it is rather large to deal with.

I always thought that the model was built to aid the redesign of the docks, however the EH lady could not confirm this, and said its purpose was unkown, thoughts and opinions on this would be appreciated??

col

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 16:49:24 »
Here's some pictures of it:

seafordpete

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 11:52:51 »
In Newhaven Museum we have a model of Octavia, a 4th rate frigate built 1849, converted to screw in 1861 and scrapped 1876. About 9ft long and nearly as high it was built as a Shpwright's apprentice model and is complete in all details, the deck lifts away and the interior ribs and decks are visible.We got it from Newhaven Fort, when first open as a holiday centre the model was in the pub there. When it closed we got it but no one knows where it came from to the fort. Pete

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 409
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 22:11:21 »
There was talk of the Heritage Centre bringing it home but due to it's size it may not be an option!  I would really love to see it back in Sheerness though, somewhere where it can be appreciated and not hidden away.

1820 Model of Sheerness Dockyard
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 18:44:19 »
In this weeks edition of Country Life magazine there is a 3 page artical on a 1820 Model of Sheerness Dockyard.  

Apparently the model was updated during building works (cant remember how long for). But in the 1970's when Sheerness Dockyard no longer wanted it and a home could'nt  be found it was passed to the Dept of Works who became English Heritage.

This impressive model (although looking very dusty) is currently stored at  Fort Brockhurst, well its actualy laid out in a large room.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines