News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Folkestone Funfair  (Read 16300 times)

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 54
    • My Portfolio
Re: Folkestone Funfair
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2012, 21:40:08 »
The Sunday Roasts in the restaurant by the boating pool were superb!!

jackl1

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2012, 21:27:54 »
Well at least no other properties will suffer at the hands of Jimmy Godden; though now I suppose it is too little too late as he has already closed or redeveloped all his parks. The Pleasurama site is gone, The Rotunda has been redeveloped, the only 'park' property left is Dreamland which is currently deteriorating.

Don't know if any of you who went to the Rotunda when it was open, went on that little wooden coaster, The Runaway Train? I always liked that one.

sturoberts1975

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2012, 14:40:01 »
Does anyone know why they closed the fun fair down ,I always thought it was such a great attraction to visitors .

Poor management was involved, in the latter years the correct maintenance was not performed leading to an accident the killed a child, the quote below is pulled from Wikipedia

ROTUNDA AMUSEMENT PARK
Mini Dragon Ride
On September 11, 1999, an 8-year-old girl died after falling from a roller coaster and hitting her head on a steel support. On February 19, 2003, Dreamland Leisure was found guilty of negligence in ensuring guest safety. The company were fined 25,000 and ordered to pay 15,000 in compensation to the victim's mother.

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2012, 13:53:34 »
John Walker that does not surprise me ,the sad thing is I know of many people who stopped taking their children there as the funfair was the main attraction so they lost out on the money that would of bought the town.
***I am still the child within***

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 54
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2012, 08:25:22 »
Does anyone know why they closed the fun fair down ,I always thought it was such a great attraction to visitors .

I believe it was a combination of greed, bad management and politics.

JW

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2012, 08:07:09 »

petersabean

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 16:44:36 »
Re Folkestone Funfair :- The boats were indeed powered by internal combustion engines, the boats apparently went to America somewhere in Las Vegas.

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2012, 22:06:41 »
My old workmate(a former Folkestone lad)tells me that those boats were powered by a petrol engine.I also mentioned that i'd seen a photograph which showed a pier going out from the nearby beach.He remembered it post war with the centre section removed and the seaward end being damaged by fire.I've no memory of that pier but across the road, not far from the Funfair, was a public indoor swimming pool which we used.I seem to recall going up some stairs here and finding that the upper levels were damaged.
 A building that lingered on at the Funfair site was a cafe and bar.

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2012, 10:12:01 »
Les freathey's photo of the motorboat reminds me of the times my schoolmate and me went on these boats but in the late 1950's.We'd get from Dover Priory to Folkestone Central by a steam loco hauled train in those days.Were those motorboats powered by a battery/electric motor system something like a milk float?It's so long ago i've forgotten now.

les freathy

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 10:49:53 »
A image of the old motor boat pool at the rotunda in the early 1950s, yours truly and uncle aiming for the camera man

Geoff B

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 23:32:54 »
The man that owned the Rotunda Folkestone fair also owned Dreamland Margate. It was on meridian Tv last week he has just died. Apparently he was one of Kent's most sucessful businesmen of all time.

Offline chuffchuff

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2011, 21:05:40 »
Mid to late 80's by the looks of the postcard
The waterslide was not there in 83 and the rollercoaster
appeared in 83 as well, if my Dad's old slides are labeled correctly

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 08:35:31 »
I went to the fun fair (Loved the Waltzers) in 1989 on a family holiday,  if thats any help in dating when it was still there.

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 83
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 17:33:12 »
We used to go on Sundays for the great market they had there, and most of the funfair was still there about 5yrs ago, Marine Terrace looks great now too, they were in the middle of doing all the houses up last visit which is about 2 yrs ago, but  what intentions are there for the seafront now ?
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 14:52:22 »
I would say the postcard is early 80's?
It's a shame but it seems that the good old British "Seaside Resort" outpriced itself.
When I used to take my Kids to the seaside for the day it was an exeptable expense.
Something like 20p a ride.
Within a couple of years it went to 50p a ride then 75p then 1...
Folkstone was one of the only places you could buy an "Wrist Band" for about 7 and the rides were free.
The last time i went they wanted 25 for an "Wrist Band" and most of the Fair had closed....
After this me and the Wife used to have some weekends "away" :)
Even this went from 80 per person at The Burstin to 150 in about a year....
The same thing happend elswhere Margate,Ramsgate etc.
The result is death of a "Resort" loss of local Jobs and community....
People will only be "Ripped Off" if they havent got nowhere else to go.
It seems that is what they have found elsewhere?
Looking at the Postcard the place seems deserted..Was it out of season? It looks like late Summer or was it just finished?
Maybe it's big horse I'm a Londoner. :{

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines